GL Mifi - battery specs

What is the pin out for GL Mifi battery 6 pin connector? All online docs look to show 2x 2pin connectors, not a 6 pin.

Also, at what rate is the battery being charged, is the board controlling the rate at which the battery charges or is it all within the battery pack.

I’m have some 500mah batteries I’d like to use to make the package smaller, but want make sure they are wired correctly, and are not charged too quickly, They are spec’d to charged at 500ma max.

thanks.

You should also find out the specific chemistry and capacity involved. Otherwise you may well have something even more dangerously explosive in your hands than a Galaxy Note 7. Li-ion batteries aren’t your old-school NiCads as far as interchangeability goes. It’s not just charging, but also high discharge rates, low-voltage conditions, cell-polarity reversal, and a host of other things that can go wrong.

absolutely. There is just very little documentation online in regards to the battery and connector on the mifi. The battery on the right is the GL battery, on the left is the one I purchased from Adafruit.

The adafruit one has overcharging protection and low-cut off at 3v. Spec’d to charge from 100-500mA.

Just out of curiosity how much run time are you expecting to get from the smaller battery? The MiFi isn’t exactly huge in the first place (I mean it’s bigger than an AR150 sure, but the PCB itself is about 3/4 the size of the stock casing so you’re never going to get it into that small a size anyway) so I’m curious as to what the motivation here is…

Not expecting much run time, it’s mostly to keep it running when I need to re-patch the main power, and its all being rehoused with weight being an important consideration, so shaving 70g is really helpful.

The battery you have is a newer version which has battery meter built-in. So it has more wires.

To replace it you may need the same plug.

The black and red are battery voltage-protected outputs. The yellow is i2C clock and green is i2C data. I2c address 0x55. I am still trying to find the chip on board to communicate.