GL-MiFi info?!

I just received my GL-MiFi , and now I’m trying to use it.

When accessing it over WIFI the AP needs a key. What is the default key?
Also. What is the default IP when accessing it over LAN?

Any other passwords needed?

Do you have any online documentation about the GL-MiFi ?

Thank you.

The WiFi key is: goodlife

The default IP address of the firmware is: 192.168.1.1

When you point a browser to 192.168.1.1 you get a quick config page that lets you set your password.

After that you can also log in with SSH on 192.168.1.1 with username root and your chosen password.

Jan-Willem,

Mike (from gl-net) emaild me with the password. Ans yes it’s goodlife
As the LAN port from the GL-MiFi is set to WAN by default, accessing it by 192.168.1.1 does not work.

Anyway. I’ve got full control now, and am testing things.
Unfortunately it looks like the nano SIM card holder is broken (SIM does not go in all the way!) :frowning:

Sorry for the misinformation there. My bad.

As for the SIM card holder. Are you sure you have the SIM in the right way 'round?

The contact points of the SIM should point downwards towards the board.

Also you have to push the SIM all the way in until you hear a small ‘click’ and than it is latched.

If you want to remove it again you have to push it further in again until you hear a ‘click’ again and it will be released again.

Yes. It’s in the correct way, and I guess if I push hard enough it will go in further.
Not sure if I should do this (for sure I will break something).

I think that the one I have is a DOA, and might need to be shipped back :frowning:

Lets wait and see what the team will say about it.

PS: It has been a hell of a week for me till now… Everything that could go wrong/break happened!

I’m sorry to hear that :frowning:

Upon examing your picture further it indeed looks like there’s something wrong with your SIM socket.

The spring you see compressed at the left top should not be so compressed and it should also be visible in the hole on the top right attached to the plastic plate that sits there.

Yours seems to have come loose and it looks like it threw the plastic catcher plate out of whack.

Here’s a shot of mine attached for reference.

There might be a chance to pry it back with a needle or something. But you’re right let’s wait what the team says.

Thank you for the update!

Just my luck… :frowning:

Another close up of my SIM socket.

@Jan-Willem. What modem did you select for the interface? Modem device /dev/ttyATH0 or ttyS0 …

2 answers.

I still have the distinct feeling you might be able to resolve this SIM socket situation by taking a tiny pin and dragging the plastic catcher plate back to where it belongs. Beyond the metal retainer clip that holds it in place. You might have to lift the retainer clip a bit to get it to slide past. Image attached.

If you feel uncomfortable with that then by all means please don’t try it and just send it back to get a replacement. But I can imagine you’d like to get started fiddling with this awesome engineering board just like I did :slight_smile:

In answer to your question:

It is quite a hassle to get the board going driver wise. As always with 3G/4G/LTE hardware. There are many ways of approaching it.

The device exposes /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttyUSB4 (it’s even got a built in GPS!!!) when loaded up with the right driver and you can choose the PPP way of trying to establish an internet connection, but that didn’t work for me in my case with my SIM and my carrier.

In fact after a few hours searching I decided to try the QMI (NDIS) interface that is also available on the board and make use of the higher level abstracted wwan0 interface to establish a connection. This required me to upgrade the firmware to Chaos Calmer and do some more fiddling which I will be happy to elaborate on once you get to it but it is beyond the scope of this reply at this stage.

I ended up going for QMI and I managed to establish a relatively stable 3G connection with the entire unit. It is awesome but I still need to hone down the init scripts etc.

This is a nice link if you want to learn about the UC20’s interfaces (I don’t know which board you have got maybe the Quectel 4G but you will be able to find docs for that one too) CLICK LINK HERE

Thank you for the detailed info.

The board I have came with “OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05”.
Looking at my modem device I do not have any /dev/ttyUSB’s. I only have /dev/tty/ATH0 and ttyS0 till ttyS15.

The thing is that I’ve setup several GL-AR150’s with a USB stick GSM modem, and they all work fine.

Problem is this board, and as I’m not sure if this “SIM socket” is a problem or not as I can not get it to work.

Will give your “retainer lift” a go tomorrow when I’m fresh again :slight_smile:

re: In fact after a few hours searching I decided to try the QMI (NDIS) interface that is also available on the board
I’ve not found this interface. I did however find the Domino Web Panel (in my case: http://192.168.1.1/cgi-bin/luci/webpanel/homepage )

Yeah sorry.

The QMI ndis stuff is out of reach of the web interfaces and requires you to start diving into installing kernel modules.

No direct need to start compiling yourself but it does require some hands on tweaking in the console.

With re: the firmware version. Mine came with the 1.1 Domino firmware initially (Barrier Breaker) and that seemed to have the patch installed for the EC-20 that I have. The Quectel that is. (https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/target/linux/generic/patches-4.1/192-USB-qcserial-Add-support-for-Quectel-EC20-Mini-PCIe-.patch?rev=47694)

That gave me all the ttyUSB ports from 0 to 4 registered.

Once I upgraded to Domino firmware 1.3 (Chaos Calmer) the ttyUSBs went away which leads me to believe that patch is not in there.

Again, with regard to the QMI approach, you would have to install a bunch of packages via opkg explained “somewhat” here https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/ltedongle

But as mentioned before, in order to get that going you cannot use luci or the web panel and have to rely on manual configuration via the console.

Okay… I’ve managed to fix the slot. IE: Sim is now going in, staying in and when pressed again ejecting!
Thank you for your help on that Jan-Willem.

Next is getting it to work. Will report back.

@Guest, glad that you repaired the sim slot. Seems sometimes, when people use a trimmed sim card, which is a little thicker, it will bend the pins inside so you cannot insert the card in. But seems you don’t have this problem. Glad to know.

Don’t upgrade Domino firmware. Domino firmware is for Domino Pi actually. The MiFi board compiled the firmware based on Domino firmware but didn’t correct the firmware links. We will upload a new firmware and instructions to the website.

Sorry for no docs. But you guys are great and working it out.

Hi alzhao,

Thank you for your reply!

Problem is that I can not install any debug software so I’ll wait for the new firmware before playing any further with the board.

Once again thank you for this great product!

新年快乐

Hi @guest and @jw,

New firmware upload, pls check download section: 404 Page not found - GL.iNet

Thank you… Flashed… testing now.

It’s now: OpenWrt Barrier Breaker 14.07

Okay. Still having problems getting the 3G radio to work.

ls /dev/ gives me:
ttyATH0
ttyS0
ttyI0 to ttyI63
ttyUSB0 to ttyUSB4

I’ve tested ttyATH0 and ttyUSB0 till ttyUSB4 but no luck.

I would like to make a “terminal” connection to one of the tty’s and send an AT command to see if I get a response back.
Normally I use screen to connect (ie: screen /dev/ttyUSB0), but screen is not available!

Any other suggestions?

@alzhao Thanks for all the links to the docs and the new firmware!

@Guest The ‘screen’ command is not installed by default but you can install it with ‘opkg update’ followed by ‘opkg install screen’.

The links to the docs Alfie sent are a very good source of information. Check out this one especially: http://www.gl-inet.com/download/mifi/Quectel_WCDMA&LTE_Linux_USB_Driver_User_Guide_V1.3.pdf

Probably an ID 10 T error from me, but…
root@domino:~# opgk update
-ash: opgk: not found
root@domino:~#

Ooops… it’s OPKG

It is opkg not opgk