Gl_monitor

I’m getting this error message up to 3 times per day on slate. it’s not a ‘huge’ issue but every time it does a restart of the switch I get a new ip address on the wan which is a bit of a pain (ISP issue but not really necessary).
Current Version3.100
Compile Time2019-12-21 10:01:57

Feb 6 13:44:30 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 9 21:41:59 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 10 04:33:40 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 10 05:03:48 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 10 07:28:37 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 11 06:51:46 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 12 16:52:50 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 13 04:16:28 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 14 08:29:40 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 14 23:09:38 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.
Feb 15 11:19:35 GL-AR750S gl_monitor[3355]: Failed to connect to the switch. Use the “list” command to see which switches are available.

You can try to statically bind your device to the router so you always get the same IP.

The setting as following

unfortunately that’s not an option as ISP issues dynamic IP addresses which seem to be all over the place so I can’t even pick one to use. You need to pay extra to get a static IP.

The ISP gives you dynamic IP, which means it’s always changing, and that doesn’t seem to be a problem at 750S

I think you are focusing on the wrong issue here.

My question really relates to why the gl_monitor is failing to connect to the switch, which are the internal ethernet ports to the device.
john

gl_monitor will monitor whether your WAN port is normally connected to your superior. If the IP assigned by your ISP is invalid, the system will try to obtain a valid IP again.
I do not rule out the existence of a bug in the firmware.
You can try to use other devices. Can the device keep the IP and can access the Internet normally?

Hi,
just as an update to this issue with ethernet switch not being contacted. I disabled GL_Monitor 4 days ago. Since this time the switch issue has not ocurred and more importantly the flow-on matter of WAN IP address changing each time GL_Monitor reset the switch is NOT occuring any more. I would tend to point this to being a bug in GL_Monitor whereby it’s resetting the switch probably unnecessarily.
Anything I can to do to help further track this down please let me know.

Thank you for helping with the test.
Can you provide the full LOG of these days.