GL-MT3000 cannot get the advertised speed of 2402mbps on Virtual Desktop

I got the Beryl GL.iNet AX (GL-MT3000) Wi-Fi 6 Router for Meta Quest 3, Virtual Desktop. I set up 5GHz, 160MHz, Channel 44, am 2 meters away from the Router, connected to my Desktop PC with 1. Intel® 2.5GbE LAN chip (2.5 Gbit/1 Gbit/100 Mbit) port, using my ethernet cable.

No matter what I do I cannot get the advertised speed of 2402mbps on Virtual Desktop in Meta Quest 3, I only get 1200mbps, any help will be appreciated.

There are a lot of variables that can affect your wireless throughput. 2402mbps will never really happen due to overhead, imperfect RF conditions, etc… That is simply the maximum throughput the hardware itself can support. If there is interference or several clients, that can limit your throughput as well. Honestly, 1200mbps of real throughput on a travel router is really good and maybe more than I would have suspected it could support. You might switch over to DFS channels, you may have less interference using those frequencies.

Thank you so much @packetmonkey for your prompt response, just to add that, I live in a secluded close in a small city in northern England. So am sure interference is not much of an issue, I tried the DFS channels as advised (channel:120, Bandwidth:160MHz, Freq:5GHz) but am still getting 1200mbps in Virtual Desktop. (I updated the firmware as well, Meta Quest v63, Virtual Desktop v1.30.4)
I am not really expecting to need/use the advertised 2402mbps speed, but I was just wondering why it’s advertised as such. One cannot get it from a 1-meter distance to the router.
If this is not false advertising, I need some help or suggestions on what to do to get this advertised speed, please guys.

1 Like

It is advertised as such because it is the MAC speed of the interface. I have never seen wireless devices hit the throughput they are capable of due to reasons already listed. Wireless is hard to market because there are so many things that can cause speeds to be reduced from the theoretical maximum. Why would a manufacturer guess what speed you might get in your location? It is easier to just state what the wireless hardware is capable of. You will likely never see the speed advertised on any wireless hardware that is speccing the MAC speed. This is like standing in your garden shouting at the clouds.

Ok thanks for your input.

Here you can get an idea, what the maximum speeds could be (sorry it’s german, but you can read the tabel):
https://www.elektronik-kompendium.de/sites/net/2509041.htm

The real datarate is abt. half of that shown in the tabel.