GL-MT3000: How to change BSSID?

Good day!

We need to be able to have same BSSID on all our MT3000, but I can’t figure out how to do that.

These have no effects:

uci set wireless.wifi5g.macaddr='62:b1:eb:45:d1:2f'
uci set wireless.wifi5g.bssid='62:b1:eb:45:d1:2f'

This works fine on an ATX1800:

uci set wireless.default_radio0.macaddr='62:b1:eb:45:d1:2f'

If it’s not possible yet, may I ask it as a feature request? We really need to be able to change it.

Also, in the Admin under MAC address, the UX is confusing, if I choose Manual, I expect to be able to change independently:

• MAC Address (Ethernet)
  • MAC Address (Repeater)

and maybe there it’s also the right place to add a BSSID customisation:

• MAC Address (AP/BSSID)

Thank you!

If you want to be able to change BSSID then you have to choose the right router.

Usually, all routers that supports “EAP” - do also support BSSID change:

You should avoid routers that do not have EAP as a basic feature

I’m concerned about the information provided regarding the BSSID change feature. The ability to change the BSSID should not be inherently tied to the router’s support for EAP. These functions serve different purposes and are not dependent on each other. It wasn’t clear in the product description that EAP support would be necessary for BSSID modification, and as such, I was expecting this feature to be available. If this capability is being added in an upcoming firmware update, could you please confirm when this update will be released? Thank you for your assistance with this matter.

This issue might help you: Allow manually setting MAC/BSSID on each wireless interface (client, AP, etc) [Enhancement] · Issue #5845 · openwrt/luci · GitHub

PS. The only “reliable” way to change the MAC/BSSID so far is using “uci -q set wireless.@wifi-iface[-1].macaddr=$mac_addr” as explained in OpenWrt Forum Archive comment 20 Jun 2016, 23:30. It’s not persistent, I have to figure out if I can run it from rc.local or a cron job. Changing it with ifconfig or in /etc/config/wireless didn’t work.

This should work, you may have to try it out.

Thank you @admon ,
I mentioned in my post above that:

uci set wireless.wifi5g.macaddr='62:b1:eb:45:d1:2f'

does not work, which is what you are suggesting.

Oh, sorry - hadn’t seen that or checked if those are the commands mentioned there. Sorry!

@alzhao Could you please have a look at this, pretty sure, GL-Inet custom code to change wifi sta MAC address (the MAC cloning feature) can be recycled to change BSSID.

Thank you!

From your comparison link, do I understand correctly that it’s possible to change BSSID on Flint, but not on the freshly released new Flint 2 ?

Sorry MT3000 use MTK wifi driver and cannot change bssid.

MT6000 Flint2 uses open source wifi driver and you can change bssid.

@meo

The ability to change the BSSID is NOT inherently tied to the router’s support for EAP. It is true that these functions serve different purposes and are not dependent on each other.

I gave the EAP comparison because it is easier to recognise which ones does support BSSID change.

I think that all glinet routers that have EAP basic feature, also have open source wifi driver - and all glinet routers with open source wifi driver do support bssid change

There are exceptions to this, exceptions with very unreliable firmware versions like MT1300, Beryl 1.

If Flint 2 has open source WiFi driver then it should support BSSID change. (it should also have EAP basic feature too)

1 Like

@silkweb

That makes sense, thank you for the clarification!

I can change the BSSID on the guest network but not on the private network. How would this be a limitation of the driver? There must be some other bug, I think.

1 Like

That will be very surprising because the MT3000 wifi driver does change bssid.