GL-MT3000 SMB Client can connect but doesn't show any files

I’m trying to connect my Mac to a samba share from my Beryl AX router. I’m using the standard setup from the UI. The Mac connects to the share correctly but it won’t display any file or folders on it. I am able to create a new folder on the drive but it immediately disappears, not giving me a chance to rename it from ‘untitled folder’.

I’ve SSH’d into the router and verified it’s able to see the files and folders on the drive, which is how I’ve verified that the untitled folder is actually being created. The samba user has read/write access.

Any ideas why I can’t get the files to show up yet still create files on the drive?

This is my smb.conf file contents. I created two shares in an attempt to see if changing some settings like read only would matter but it didn’t.

[global]
        netbios name = GL-MT3000
        interfaces = lo br-lan
        server string = GL-mt3000-ux#####
        unix charset = UTF-8
        workgroup = WORKGROUP

fruit:nfs_aces = no
        fruit:aapl = yes
        vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr

## This global parameter allows the Samba admin to limit what interfaces on a machine will serve SMB requests.
        #bind interfaces only = yes

#client min protocol = NT1
        #server min protocol = NT1

client min protocol = CORE
        server min protocol = CORE

## time for inactive connections to-be closed in minutes
        deadtime = 15

## disable core dumps
        enable core files = no

## set security (auto, user, domain, ads)
        security = user

## This parameter controls whether a remote client is allowed or required to use SMB encryption.
        ## It has different effects depending on whether the connection uses SMB1 or SMB2 and newer:
    ## If the connection uses SMB1, then this option controls the use of a Samba-specific extension to the SMB protocol introduced in Samba 3.2 that makes use of the Unix extensions.
        ## If the connection uses SMB2 or newer, then this option controls the use of the SMB-level encryption that is supported in SMB version 3.0 and above and available in Windows 8 a>
        ## (default/auto,desired,required,off)
        #smb encrypt = default

## set invalid users
        #invalid users = root

guest account = root
        guest ok = yes

## map unknow users to guest
        map to guest = Bad User

## allow client access to accounts that have null passwords.
        null passwords = yes

## The old plaintext passdb backend. Some Samba features will not work if this passdb backend is used. (NOTE: enabled for size reasons)
        ## (tdbsam,smbpasswd,ldapsam)
        passdb backend = smbpasswd

## Set location of smbpasswd ('smbd -b' will show default compiled location)
        #smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

## LAN (IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY) WAN (IPTOS_THROUGHPUT) WiFi (SO_KEEPALIVE) try&error for buffer sizes (SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536)
        socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY

## If this integer parameter is set to a non-zero value, Samba will read from files asynchronously when the request size is bigger than this value.
        ## Note that it happens only for non-chained and non-chaining reads and when not using write cache.
        ## The only reasonable values for this parameter are 0 (no async I/O) and 1 (always do async I/O).
        ## (1/0)
        #aio read size = 0
        #aio write size = 0

## If Samba has been built with asynchronous I/O support, Samba will not wait until write requests are finished before returning the result to the client for files listed in this>
        ## Instead, Samba will immediately return that the write request has been finished successfully, no matter if the operation will succeed or not.
        ## This might speed up clients without aio support, but is really dangerous, because data could be lost and files could be damaged.
        #aio write behind = /*.tmp/

## lower CPU useage if supported and aio is disabled (aio read size = 0 ; aio write size = 0)
        ## is this still broken? issue is from 2019 (NOTE: see https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14095 )
        ## (no, yes)
        use sendfile = yes

## samba will behave as previous versions of Samba would and will fail the lock request immediately if the lock range cannot be obtained.
        #blocking locks = No

## disable loading of all printcap printers by default (iprint, cups, lpstat)
        load printers = No
        printcap name = /dev/null

## Enabling this parameter will disable Samba's support for the SPOOLSS set of MS-RPC's.
        disable spoolss = yes

## This parameters controls how printer status information is interpreted on your system.
        ## (BSD, AIX, LPRNG, PLP, SYSV, HPUX, QNX, SOFTQ)
        printing = bsd

## Disable that nmbd is acting as a WINS server for unknow netbios names
        #dns proxy = No

## win/unix user mapping backend
        #idmap config * : backend = tdb

## Allows the server name that is advertised through MDNS to be set to the hostname rather than the Samba NETBIOS name.
        ## This allows an administrator to make Samba registered MDNS records match the case of the hostname rather than being in all capitals.
        ## (netbios, mdns)
        mdns name = mdns

## Clients that only support netbios won't be able to see your samba server when netbios support is disabled.
        #disable netbios = Yes

## Setting this value to no will cause nmbd never to become a local master browser.
        local master = yes

## (auto, yes) If this is set to yes, on startup, nmbd will force an election, and it will have a slight advantage in winning the election. It is recommended that this parameter >
        preferred master = yes

domain master = yes

## (445 139) Specifies which ports the server should listen on for SMB traffic.
        ## 139 is netbios/nmbd
        #smb ports = 445 139

## This is a list of files and directories that are neither visible nor accessible.
        ## Each entry in the list must be separated by a '/', which allows spaces to be included in the entry. '*' and '?' can be used to specify multiple files or directories as in DOS >
        veto files = /Thumbs.db/.DS_Store/._.DS_Store/.apdisk/

## If a directory that is to be deleted contains nothing but veto files this deletion will fail unless you also set the delete veto files parameter to yes.
        delete veto files = yes

################ Filesystem and creation rules ################
        ## reported filesystem type (NTFS,Samba,FAT)
        #fstype = FAT

## Allows a user who has write access to the file (by whatever means, including an ACL permission) to modify the permissions (including ACL) on it.
        #dos filemode = Yes

## file/dir creating rules
        create mask = 0666
        directory mask = 0777
        #force group = root
        #force user = root
        #inherit owner = windows and unix

# ### ###set it, not find the samba sahre
        #server role = active directory domain controller
        server services = +smb

public = yes
        browseable = yes
################################################################
################################################################

######### Dynamic written config options #########

[Media Share]
        path = /tmp/mountd/disk1_part1/Media Share
        read only = no
        guest ok = yes

[Hawaii Five-0 (2010)]
        path = /tmp/mountd/disk1_part1/Media Share/TV Shows/Hawaii Five-0 (2010)
        valid users = @0c79fc5321153cd9e91ddb1f09795d3f-user
        read only = yes
        guest ok = no
        write list = @0c79fc5321153cd9e91ddb1f09795d3f-w
        read list = @0c79fc5321153cd9e91ddb1f09795d3f-r

May I know the firmware version of MT3000? I am trying to do some tests to see if I can reproduce this issue.

Firmware version is 4.5.16. Firmware type states release3.

Thank you, may I know the format of your hard drive? This could be a factor that I need to consider

That is formatted as ExFAT

I used the same firmware and format and did some tests on my side, but I didn’t encounter the same issue, so I am sorry to say I don’t have a clue or solution can provide, do you mind formatting your HD? Some users reported this method fixed this issue.

Well I definitely appreciate you taking the time to do some testing. I’m currently traveling so I’m unable to try formatting the hard drive to see if that fixes it (I have the drive with me, but have nothing to backup the data to).

I did try using an app on my iPad to attempt to connect and was able to browse the drive without issue, so I’m believing it has something to do with the way MacOS is dealing with smb. When I connect the drive to my raspberry pi while at home, I’m able to use the drive as expected through smb so it’s no big deal to just plug the thing into my computer and use it directly while traveling.

Thank you again for trying to help!