GL-MT300A openvpn soft, auth-failure received

When I build up an openvpn connection with certificate verification this works without problems. If I use account verification, I get the message soft, auth-failure received, process exiting.

What could this be?

Wrong password or username.

No, checked several times. And username password are good. Because it works from my laptop with the openvpn client with the same username and password.

Would it caused by your username or password have special characters?

Not really. Are just a few numbers and letters.

This is usually (95%) caused by wrong username and password. You can verify this on a pc to see if the username/password works.

I did have one case that this problem is caused by another reason. But I cannot recall the reason.

If they’re establishing an OpenVPN connection on startup - might be the entropy pool blocking things… on AR300M, this can be up to 90 seconds before the pool is full enough…

On the MT-300A, might be similar.

There’s some time of day sensitivity as well…

I contacted PIA a while back they suggested adding

pull-filter ignore “auth-token”

to the ovpn file. This solved it for me.

@sfx2000
No, the connection is not made ad startup. So that can’t be the problem

@alzhao
As you have can read previously, I can connect with the same username and password when I use the openvpn client on a windows computer.

@nopro404
Thanks, but unfortunately with this option I still have the same error message

If you are cutting and pasting the user/pass, then you are probably grabbing an extra space at the end or start.
Enter the details manually.

Are you using the 2.7+ firmware before 3.x? There is a bug in startvpn script.

Where can I see that? because mine indicates: Current Version 2.264. And that it is up to date

You need to manually install v3 from here:
http://download.gl-inet.com/firmware/mt300a/testing/

After updating to version 3, and back to the original openvpn config file. (pull-filter ignore "auth-token" removed) And now I have a connection :slight_smile:

Only get no data through it. But that will be a route problem, I think…