GL-MT300N-V2 Mango update Tor version

Hello Forum,

I use a GL-MT300N-V2 Mango with the Tor firmware “GL-MT300N-V2 ver.3.215”. This version was released on “2022-11-22”. The version of the tor plugin is 0.4.6.8-1. I am not sure where to check the version of the tor installation but I assume it must be as old or even older than the firmware version that I installed.

I researched and find that I can use this imagebuilder to build an image by myself Tor - GL.iNet Router Docs 3. Is this a way to get an image with a newer version of Tor? The linked github repos seem pretty outdated too if I interpreting this right.

TL;DR:
Problem: I assume my tor version on my GL-MT300N-V2 is old
Question: How to update the tor version on this device

Thank you.

You can try to download the latest Tor which is 0.4.8.7, as show in packages/net/tor/Makefile at openwrt-23.05 · openwrt/packages · GitHub

The bin is Index of /releases/23.05.3/packages/mipsel_24kc/packages/

Maybe you can try to install it. But I suspect it will work correctly.

Maybe you can just install openwrt vanilla firmware.

1 Like

Thank you for this idea. I installed openwrt 23.05 with the “upgrade path” Firmware over the GliNet WebUI local upgrade menu. Then I followed the openwrt documentation regarding the Tor installation.

And its working very good. I am now on tor-0.4.8.7-1 :slight_smile:

I think it should be more obvious that users with the GliNet Firmware are on an old version like in my case 0.4.6.8-1. My understanding is, that for this version even some CVEs are listed tor vulnerabilities - Repology but my knowlegde is not sufficient enough to judge if this is a security problem or not. But in my opinion it is always better to use latest software or at least newest available.

thank you.Upgrading tor is already in the works

1 Like