[GL-MT300N-V2] openVPN setup

It’s easy to check the IP of the DNS’ that you got via the scripts online. It might just be that you are getting a more local DNS server than the one on their site, that could be for US for example (if you are somewhere else

Post the DNS here if you want i can check it.

Here they are (with VPN on):

Hmm those ip’s are registered to Google. If you try another browser do you get the same ones?

Google? During that test I was using chromium.
Here is the test result using konqueror:

Still the same, more google dns ip’s.
If you feel that google is secure enough, keep those. If not, then i guess you should in your case with NordVPN set them manually.

It’s up to you?

Remember guys, SOMEONE has to be your DNS provider, so dnsleaktest.com will always show some IPs for DNS. What you don’t want is your DNS provider to be your ISP, if you’re worried that they’ll try and correlate your DNS activity to your VPN activity (which is actually not all that much to be worried about, IMO).

Yeah that is totally correct. He didn’t get his ISP DNS so he is technically all good. I just ask cos some people think google is kind of bad too, but there is always Cloudflare for example too.

I’m reluctant to suggest Cloudfare to newbies as it turns out that some vendors (and more than one hotel I’ve visited) are violating RFCs and using 1.0/8 as internal, non-routeable addresses (i.e., on AT&T U-Verse) so queries on 1.1.1.1 don’t make it out onto the network :frowning:

Yeah you are right. I did a quick look and i couldn’t find any alternative DNS ips for Cloudflare, which is a shame.

Anyway, Google DNS is good enough, they also only save logs for 24 hours or something like that, i read about it somewhere. Also the sheer number of requests google gets means that any request you make will be hidden in the sea of data, so in that way you get even higher security i would say, compared to a smallish DNS service that can be potentially hacked.

BTW, AT&T said it was a mistake they blocked it and they would fix it, or have fixed it :smiley:

Did you add the dhcp-option DNS nord.dns.here line into your ovpn file? Without this line pointing to Nords dns server the scripts won’t change to them.

Nope, I didn’t. I’m a noob.
Could you please tell me where exactly should I add that line?

I don’t know the dns for Nord, but in your ovpn file that you get from them. Open it and add in the line dhcp-option DNS add.res.she.re before the security certificates. Then upload it to the router and try.

Edit try these two lines:

dhcp-option DNS 103.86.96.100
dhcp-option DNS 103.86.99.100

Ok thanks, but writing them in the ovpn file wouldn’t be the same as configuring them through the router’s interface?

Yes and no. I think they will only function if the vpn is connected. If you do it through the interface then you may not have internet unless the vpn is connected. The point of the scripts mentioned above is to automatically change them when the vpn connects, and back again if connection is lost. In case the vpn needs name resolution to begin.

Ok, understood.
I’ll try and let you know if it works.
Thanks.

Also, that only applies if you don’t want the google DNS?
If you really want the NordVPN DNS then yes, do like @Exile1975 wrote so that it is automatically switched.

@Exile1975 Did it work for you to set the DNS in the config file? Did it switch properly?

Yes, worked like a charm using the dnsup/down scripts and adding this in. I have to add the that the switch may cause problems if your using it. See my thread here:

@psigli and did it work for you?

Unfortunately still got no time to test it.