GL-MT6000 instead of an ASUS

So if you are happy with that device, which is fine, why do you stay in an GL.iNet forum then? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Changed my post because it was: offensive

Even you didn’t as me I’m gonna answer: I’m staying in this forum for exactly these posts of potential new customers looking into gl.inet devices. To tell them then the truth about its practices and how they treat their customers with the 4.5.7 flint 2 firmware.

2 Likes

I will refer you to the original poster’s question here, if I may. I have also invested quite a bit in GL.iNet devices to be eventually disappointed by their multiple issues and feel the right to warn others about their shortcomings as potential mission-critical devices.

3 Likes

ASUSWRT has been great for me since I bought my RT-AC68U 8 years ago, but it has not always been perfect, like any firmware I suppose. This unit just now went EoL, which is amazing for consumer-grade net gear, I think. The stock firmware has some very nice functionality (that I do use) that GLi doesn’t have (though I think I can work around it with custom firewall rules). The GLi firmware has some things that I wish ASUS had, but nothing I have to have, of course.

I’m not paying $350 for a router anyhowz :slightly_smiling_face: unless it has some super credentials.

I was told GLi was more on the professional-grade side, and that was very appealing to me, but what I’m seeing with this great-sounding new unit (and a compromise in firmware features) is a letdown. (I was warned by one person I’d be a beta tester for this unit, but I didn’t want to believe it and I wanted to give GLi time to settle initial issues).

I really appreciate everyone’s inputs.

1 Like

I’m much happier now that the stable build for Open-WRT for the MT-6000 has been released. Continuing to tweak…Everything working great…

2 Likes

How was the setup process? Is it just as easy as the stock GL.iNet firmware?

Hi everyone, you can just post problems, questions, etc. and this is the aim of this forum.

If you just want to say bad things about us and asking people to avoid our product and recommend other products, I will just delete the post.

4 Likes

Since OpenWrt does not offer some “Welcome, let’s setup your device”-process it’s not that easy but depends on your needs. If you have experience with routing itself, it’s not a big deal - but not comfortable anyway.

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/start

1 Like

Just FYI:

We post here problems with the mt6000 flint 2

• kernel downgrade to an old version
  • limiting the 2.5gbit LAN Port to 1gbit
  • etc.

maybe you take the angry input regarding GL.iNet recent decision internally and discuss if you have done anything wrong.

you current path with loose you massively customers.

2 Likes

I’ve run Open-WRT before but on already built images…This was the first time I built it myself from scratch. I had actually started the previous day using a Snapshot but canned that when I saw they
had released a stable version. Since it was the first time it took me about seven hours in total but that’s because I had to do a lot of hunting and searching on the web to see where and how stuff was done…Now that I’ve done it I could probably do it in half that time setting up VPNs (Wireguard and OPVN), Policy Based Routing, Reserved IPs, Customizations, Tweaking. For me I’m actually glad the firmware debacle happened. Now I’m on OpenWRT and know how to get it up and running I don’t think I’ll be going back to GL.iNet’s version although it does have some nice stuff that I haven’t figured out how to do in OpenWRT (Like turning OFF/ON LEDs at specific times but I do have the CRON rebooting my router daily). But I agree if you don’t have much in the way of networking knowledge it’s better to stay with the stock firmware.

How do you expect to be able to improve things if you do not take criticism about your products?

You have just taken down the latest “STABLE” firmware version from your website which can only suggest that it has been riddled with problems and not fit for purpose. You really do need to a get a grip…

1 Like

How do you know I don’t take criticism?

You can criticize as most of the people did. The aim of the forum is for discussing problems.

But you cannot just asking people not to buy our product or even advertise other brand in this forum.

5 Likes

Hmmm, so I should be asking people and advocate that they should buy a broken device instead? Makes sense!

1 Like

Well, from my point of view it is OK to inform people about current issues. But it’s not OK to tell people to go with brand XY instead.

This isn’t a sales forum, it’s just dedicated to GL.iNet devices. If you don’t have anything to say than „warn“ people, you are free to leave.

And if you still try to warn people (without specific issues) you will be forced to leave. That’s what @alzhao was trying to say, I guess.

1 Like

I am very clear on this part: you can criticize us but you should not just ask people not to buy GL.iNet and advertise other brand in this forum.

I didn’t ask or imply you to do anything else. You have free speech and it is your own opinion.

1 Like

I think that you will find that the OP has asked a very specific question and I have given a very specific answer to it and wasn’t advertising anything that was not within the very context of the question posed here. I am glad that you know about free speech and expressing one’s opinion. I will leave you now to focus on fixing the problems with your routers.

1 Like

Fix problems please not on your routers… also our routers

1 Like

That is beause I deleted that posts

1 Like