GL-MT6000 - Wi-Fi power too high (?)

While I’m more than happy that my new GL-MT6000 has considerable wireless range, I noticed that it transmits at 36dBm (4 watts) on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

In the European Union, more than 1 watt (30 dBm) seems to be not allowed.

2.4 GHz band: In the 2.4 GHz band, which covers the frequencies 2.400 to 2.4835 GHz, the maximum transmission power is generally limited to 20 dBm (100 mW).

5 GHz band: In the 5 GHz band, the regulations are more complex as this band is divided into several sub-bands, each of which has different regulations. In many cases, the maximum transmission power is between 200 mW and 1 W (23 to 30 dBm), depending on the specific frequency ranges and whether indoor or outdoor use is involved.

Interestingly, my WLAN is already set to “Germany” in Luci.
Since this may be a bug that might need to be corrected, I wanted to let you know.

I don’t know anything about Wi-Fi power, but it seemed very strange to me that the values here were so high, while the Flint1 was locked at 20dBm.

2 Likes

Thanks for your kindly feedback, we will check it to find out the issue.

Curious what total power usage your Flint 2 uses… Have you measured from the power point? Thx

Seems to be fixed in 4.5.3 - unfortunately :sweat_smile:

unfortunately indeed

This is an impressive power. How did you measure it?

That was the value luci showed my for the interface.
I can confirm that the output is way lower now - so it seems to be correct.

You cant even select those dBm now.

ow damn now my wifi coverage is lower, I was so happy :frowning:

2 Likes

Can gl-inet give the option to adjust the WiFi power in the GUI as an advanced feature? As I will sit close to mine, i am glad my head won’t be melted by the latest firmware :melting_face:

Nope, because it’s the law. :frowning:

You can already select it by the GUI or luci.

Can i use the same settings or do i need a reset after the update?

Updates don’t change the config as long as you preserve them while updating.

1 Like

Since I don’t know what exactly you are trying to achieve: Spoken for this update, it will reset the Wi-Fi power. So as soon as you update, you won’t be able to use more power than allowed anymore.

Yeah no problem with that don’t want any trouble with Bundesnetzagentur or something :grinning:

Just want that vpn works bug free like now if I don’t reset after the firmware update

1 Like

Doh!

Mine looked like it was shipping out of China and then this morning it says it’s been delayed to 11th Dec due to operational reasons! Jeez, so much for FedEx.

The hardware cannot transimit that high power actually. Luci sometimes is not so compatible so will not display the real value.

1 Like

But it was definitely higher than now - so maybe not 4 watts but still higher than allowed :slight_smile:

Same here. Before an upgrade, clients showed much stronger signal. Definitely it wasn’t below to EU limits. :slight_smile: Seems good now.

Just curious, what package changed? Is the the code on github?