GL-MV1000 brume vanilla openwrt support

@Simon
Yes, we will wait for the software to be fully functional and submit the patch to openwrt19.07

1 Like

I’m using vanilla openwrt since a while now, with vlans, dnsmasq, unbound and a lot of stuff configured. It’s rock stable and works really well. Just the led patches are missing, but since the router is in a cabinet that does not really matter to me.
What’s missing for openwrt? Is it just the led patches?

@Simon can you share some info for brume vanilla build?

i did some custom build in the past but none for a “new device”, gl-inet takes forever to submit patches.

thank you for your time and info.

G

Sure. What do you want to know?

@Simon i did some build for devices already in device tree with make menuconfig nothing special or advanced, i guess for a new device i’ll have to use dts file from gl-inet repo but i have no idea, or i’m trying to figure out, where to place files ad where to create a make file for new device. i also have no need for leds or other, device is just routing on top of shelf… any info would be great.

many thanks

G

This is how I did it: GL-MV1000 web interface not accessible - #7 by Simon

If you have any specific questions just ask away!

@Simon many thanks, this commit answer all my questions about where to put info for new device, i guess that i need to start reading and merge info needed for mv1000 in my build directory.

any specific part i should avoid?

G

sorry for late feedback… did my build from stable tag v19.07.2, many thanks @Simon again.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/df0qlcpa1fpshll/AAAzTD7kAUPdsATjlc2L-2jPa?dl=0

let hope devs @Gl-inet will soon add support in openwrt official!

best!

3 Likes

There is a commit that fix the led on the brume fix: modify register for mv1000 · gl-inet/openwrt@76252cd · GitHub

Support for the brume on openwrt has been added: Index of /snapshots/targets/mvebu/cortexa53/
I tried install it through the usual way on the web ui without success, not sure what other options do we have.

they don’t look like uboot imgages.
glinet_gl-mv1000-ext4-sdcard.img.gz
glinet_gl-mv1000-initramfs-kernel.bin
glinet_gl-mv1000-squashfs-sdcard.img.gz

question?
does sdcard means the first partition in the micro sd reader or the ubuntu partition

I found flashing instructions: git.openwrt.org Git - openwrt/openwrt.git/commit
I got it working, I extracted the image from glinet_gl-mv1000-squashfs-sdcard.img.gz and uploaded with uboot.

1 Like

what driver to enable network on the usb-c port?

I know the network file should have usb0 like below

config interface ‘lan’
option type ‘bridge’
option ifname ‘lan0 lan1 usb0’

USB-C port is connecting to USB gadget interface. So you need to install RNDIS driver.

yeah I installed kmod-usb-net-rndis but that did not work.
kmod-usb-gadget-eth not showing up in package list for snapshot.

It’s not that simple.

you need this three patches from the original gl-inet github commit (Feat:add GL-MV1000 support · gl-inet/openwrt@b2ef497 · GitHub)

540-arm64-add-udc-driver.patch

541-arm64-usb-device-dts.patch

542-arm64-usb-gadget-ether-fix-mac.patch

(for kernel 4.19 you should rename them to 547…, 548…, 549 for example)

Copy them to target/linux/mvebu/patches-4.14/ or target/linux/mvebu/patches-4.19/ (should work for both kernel versions)

then

make kernel_menuconfig

and the patches should apply.

Afterwards you can go to device drivers - usb - usb gadget support - usb periphal controller and select " Marvell USB2.0 Device Controller" and “Marvell Armada 38X/3700/8K USB 3.0 controller”

save the config and

make

thank you. I just wish I knew what I was doing at making the build environment, adding the patches, the make kernel_menuconfig and everything after that because that is all above my skills base. I’ve tried walking myself through it only to end up wasting my time with failure.

just wondering how this is coming along with the new 19.07.3. I truely would like to be able to install something that is not snapshot on my brume.

I built a 19.07.3 brume vanilla image yesterday and also added the drivers for my dwa-171 wifi dongle , working much better than the openwrt snapshots.

2 Likes

thank you marcz I flashed via uboot but not response via ssh or http on 192.168.1.1 and no dhcp server. boots to a solid power light but that’s all.