GL-MV1000 Ubuntu CIFS Support

I am trying to mount a CIFS share and I’m running into an issue where it appears the kernel does not support cifs. How can cifs support be added to the kernel?

When running:
mount -t cifs -o username=user,domain=domain//server/path /mnt-point
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

The following commands show the kernel version and queries support that cifs isn’t enabled:
root@GL-MV1000-Ubuntu:/# uname -r
4.4.52-armada-17.10.3-g44275f8
root@GL-MV1000-Ubuntu:/# modprobe cifs
modprobe: FATAL: Module cifs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.4.52-armada-17.10.3-g44275f8

I would like to avoid compiling a custom kernel if I can…

Try to search and install cifs support firmware

I switched back to OpenWrt and installed the shown plug-ins. When I switched back to ubuntu I was still unable to mount the shares with the same error.

Also looking forward to getting these network shared permanently mounted, along with an SD card, on reboot. I am not seeing a fstab in /etc or /etc/config. With the MV-1000 ubuntu image; how are we to remount volumes on reboot?

Thanks,

The ubuntu system is independent from the openwrt system. So you need to install the kernel module in ubuntu as well.

This won’t install in ubuntu. Any thought on auto mounting in ubuntu with fstab missing?

I wasn’t able to get cifs to mount. I ended up sharing/mounting as nfs to get around it.
Please consider adding cifs support to future kernel updates. It would be quite helpful.

1 Like