GL-X3000 ATT not connecting

Will this device work with ATT prepaid hotspot plans? I’m curious about tmobile prepaid hotspot plans as well.

I use it with ATT prepaid hotspot plan. Been using it almost 6 months this way with 2 prepaid hotspot SIM cards.

If you want to test, I think you can take the X3000 to AT&T store or T-mobile store, tell their customer service you want to get a sim card what can work with X3000, I think they will help you to choose a sim card what can work.

GL-X3000 is ATT certified.

Please refer to https://iotdevices.att.com/certified-devices.aspx#

It’s not on their 5g white list. Which nothing from GLinet shows up there. Meaning no 5g from them at all. Maybe it would work on LTE but the customer support even told me based on the IMEI it wasnt compatible with their unlimited elite plans (obviously) or their dataconnect plans, so IDK. I’m still not entirely sure what the IOT plans even are. To me it sounds like smart devices such as something like the backup for ring security. I unfortunately decided to return the device due to the incompatibility with 5G on ATT, but plan on exploring other options from your company that would make tethering from my android phone easier.

@no1warr1or Thanks for your research into this! I also bought this device to use with my AT&T 5G service, spent about a week trying a thousand combinations to get it work work, detailed here. Please let me know if you have anything else to try before I buy a MoFi or something…

FWIW, in no circumstances should anyone ever purchase or use a Netgear M6, the 3 I tried were the worst devices I’ve ever used in at least 5 different ways. That being said I have one for sale… :sweat_smile:

Super disappointing, was so pumped on the Spitz.

I had the same issue as others. I had a 4G device (Iphone XS Pro) i activated it to an AT&T Business Elite plan and could never get 5G and it only worked with BROADBAND as the APN.

Then via AT&T chat I provided a 5G Iphone IMEI and changed the APN to ENHANCEDPHONE and i am connected.

Still no solutions? I find it completely ridiculous that customers pay for something to work as advertised only to have a headache trying to get it to work. This is almost a year of people with the same issues with no response/fix. To the people that say it works with theirs where’s the proof, how was it setup, and why does it not work when someone else uses the same setup? Not just a screenshot of your internet speeds say wow look at me. We need some answer so we can actually use this as it’s intended and not as wall decoration.

2 Likes

I don’t have ATT but I can assure you that under T-Mo I have several friends that have also bought the GL-X3000 after seeing what speeds I’ve been getting. Each and every one of them has had to set up their routers differently. Why? Because they all have different plans and use different towers than me. One friend has T-Mo home internet. The other has some iPad sim device and another has a regular phone plan. I’ve got a business plan. Everyone is different and we all get different speeds even when they are in the same exact location because the SIM cards are configured differently. Then, when they are in different locations, it’s pretty presumptuous to think that they should all operate the same. So, I’m just stating that there are different plans and it’s not a one size fits all solution. There are WAY to many variables between towers, plans and carriers. However, I do believe that the people that state that their plans work are speaking the truth. We just need to find a solution for you. Since this is your first time posting, I think it would be a little more helpful if we could have a little more context and learn a little more about your particular situation. I’m certain we can get your issues resolved.

What I don’t really understand: What’s the difference between the modem in the X3000 and one in a cheap Chinese Android phone?

Does Android simply have a huge base of connection profiles or why does the X3000 need so much manual love & affection?

I think you hit the nail on the head along with a different internal modem. Besides the fact that there are big differences between ATT towers and the channels they use and T-Mo. Usually a network makes sure you have a particular phone work on their network and this router is trying to be a do everything for everyone device. Bound to have issues but I’m confident with a little patience the developers and others on here will be able to help.

Maybe @Summer can clarify why the X3000 needs that much attention for simply connecting?

@no1warr1or @logi @mercury @flyrmyr @Danno @Tiredcustomer @gainestr @admon This post records the same phenomenon and provides the cause of the problem: Spitz AX (GL-X3000) - using ATT - #23 by EKKO
This AT&T-type SIM card has the same mnc/mcc as Verizon.It causes the program to misjudge. (The September version did not incorporate this database to fully differentiate between Verizon and AT&T)
We are currently consulting relevant information and institutions for confirmation. After confirmation, we will update the firmware to resolve this issue.

I’m not disagreeing that every different device or carrier would need different settings. My issue is if you have an att unlimited phone plan then your settings would be the same as anyone else that has an att phone plan. I see plenty of people with T-Mobile posting how great it’s working for them. I see some people with att tablet plans saying it works for them. If there is settings that work for att unlimited phone plan please post it. Because every settings I’ve tried locks my sim and I have to go to a store and have them unlock it. I’m also not talking about 4g. I bought this for the 5g option. So again settings for 5g att phone plan. Thanks

I think its a bit more complicated than that. I added an line to ATT Business Elite plan and activated it to a Iphone XS. When put in the router it would only function as a hotspot. I called AT&T and had the XS sim provisioned to a more modern Iphone and then the router was able to accept the appropriate settings to use phone data. Additionally, people i know who do this on completely different routers say AT&T is way more picky with back-end provisioning than Tmobile.

Finally, i will add that side by side testing of 2 business elite lines with #1 being on an Iphone 12 Pro Max and #2 being in the router (both going to the same speedtest ISP) show that the Iphone 12 Pro Max is often faster. Sometimes by 10% and sometimes but 40% so i would say there is so pretty sophisticated things going on between the software carrier setting on the phone and the towers which is likely cost prohibited for a modem supplier to try and replicate.

The iPhone XS does not have the hardware to support 5g. Business line, family line, individual plan I really don’t think it matters. It has to due with the device you take the sim from and the settings you put. I have tried every setting on here reccomended and haven’t even been able to connect to 4g. My sim gets locked every time. Which makes sense I’m trying to use phone data in a mobile hotspot without paying for the hotspot plan which are capped and it is against att policy. You have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and att? Awesome bc that it exactly what I have. Could you provide the information you put into the dashboard for your gl-x3000 to allow it to access 5g unlimited phone data. Thank you.

Tiredcustomer,

Have you tried downgrading the firmware to the September version? I could not get my GL-X3000 to connect to AT&T after upgrading the firmware to the December version. I rolled back to the September version and everything is working.

Eric

I’ll try that. Could you share the settings (apn, TTL, etc) and device you used. We are talking about unlimited 5g phone data working on your hotspot correct?

Tiredcustomer,

I have an older AT&T data only sim card I’m using in my GL-X3000. I’m in a rural area, so I only get 4g/LTE. I manually set up the connection. The only thing I had to do was set the apn to ‘broadband’. After that it took a couple of minutes to connect and has worked fine.

Here’s the thread I posted about my tests:

Eric

Thanks for the response. I will try that in the meantime since something is better than nothing. My reasoning for spending the extra $300-400 is for the 5g capabilities. Thats like spending the extra money for a v8 but only having the capabilities a v6. I got the response I wanted from staff. They said it’s not possible at the moment which is what I assumed from everyone else having the same questions.