GL-X3000 - Bridge Mode WAN IP Passthrough

I’m really curious about this myself. I’m using a T-mobile sim, and tried running the command on my spitz AX. I didn’t get a signal after doing so, and had to revert back to router mode. I love my spitz, but this is the last big feature I wish it had.

1 Like

Just reboot and you will get signal, IP passthrough works, for me the only problem is that I loose SSH

I reboot, and everything fails to work for me. My router that the Spitz is connected to doesn’t pickup an internet connection afterward, and I can’t login to the spitz web interface either. Can’t SSH into it anymore either. he Looking at the device itself, it does show the signal bar lights on, but I seem to have no other indication anything is functioning.

As far as I can tell, it doesn’t work for me for some reason.

Figured out it was an issue with my router. My bad! Ssh works for me, web interface, etc.

What was the issue with the router?

I had to move to a static IP instead of DHCP for it to recognize the connection.

I am also having issues in passthrough mode, if I connect a laptop to the Spitz it will work fine, but if I connect a router no connection will be detected.

In your case instead of using DHCP on your router (not the Spitz) to get the WAN IP, you assigned the same IP you were getting via DHCP, but as a static IP?

Yes, that is correct.

Didn’t work for me, it never connected to the internet, unfortunately the bridge mode requires a lot of hand holding to work, I will just set my router to AP mode, same result to avoid double NAT

Sorry to hear that. I do hope they get things working more officially. Even though I got it working, I was surprised ping times weren’t better.

Do you use IPv6?

What Static IP did you assign to your router? The same one it was being assigned when DHCP was active?

Yeah, using ipv6. I’m using the same one assigned when DHCP was active.

Thank you, is it running stable and smoothly?

Yeah, as stable as it was in router mode.

Do you know if this (or a similar variant) would work on the Spitz V2 (GL-X750V2)??

Sorry, I do not know if it works with any other device.

Is the WAN IP Passthrough already available on the web GUI? Was planning to buy 2 of this but will have to use it as loadbalance/failover to my unifi.

Just got mine and just did the firmware upgrade. I can gladly reassure you it’s still not added to web gui.

I just got my brand new GL-X3000 and I could activate IP passthrough via SSH, as suggested here.
After that I simply had to restart the DHCP client on the host connected to the LAN port and it got the WAN IP assigned instead of a private one.

After that SSH and the web UI would still work using the “old” router IP (192.168.8.1 in my case).

Over all it seems pretty good! Nice feature!
I can also see that the WebUI has changed to adapt to the new mode, by limiting all conflicting features.

1 Like

One important feedback I want to give to the devs: many mobile ISPs force the modem/phone to restart their session and get a new IP periodically (i.e. every 4h or 24h or any random number they like).
Obviously when this happens the connectivity breaks, because the current router needs to wait for the lease time to expire and ask for the new IP, before it can happily work again.

My recommendation: allow the user to customize the lease time so that in case of ISPs having this behvaiour the lease time can be set to something very short. Alternatively, it would be nice to get some event so that the router can trigger a dhcp renew/rebind on demand.