GL-X3000 - Bridge Mode WAN IP Passthrough

Hi all,

Just got a new GL-X3000 router. I am really happy with its 5G performance in upload and download but I haven’t managed to set it up in bridge mode (WAN IP Passthrough).

I would like to set-up the GL-X3000 has a modem only. It will be in front of another more powerful router that will handle the DHCP, port forwarding and the firewall.

Is that feature already implemented ? If so, how can I use it ? Did anyone manage to set one up with Openwrt modules such as trelay ?

2 Likes

We have an experimental feature. You can try enabling it via SSH.
We cannot yet guarantee its availability in most environments. If it fails, press and hold the reset button next to the device’s SIM slot for 4s to switch back to router mode.

curl -k http://127.0.0.1/rpc -H 'glinet: 1' -d '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"call","params":["","netmode","set_mode",{"mode":"passthrough","mask":"auto"}],"id":1}'

Please note, it must use Ethernet 1 if you need passthrough from Ethernet cable and it may not work if any of the following settings are enabled Tethering, Drop-In Gateway mode, IPv6, manually set DNS, Multi-WAN set to load balanced mode, WAN port set as LAN, VPN policy is in use, Any firewall setting has been added, MAC address has been set manually.

2 Likes

I’m definitely also interested in this as a final feature, thanks!

1 Like

I would be interested also

1 Like

This would be very useful

1 Like

@pretzels5 @yuxin.zou

After some troubleshooting (that’s the reason I deleted my previous two posts, I already answered myself those questions) it is working fine, I have a few minor issues/observations:

• The WAN (5G) DNS doesn’t work, I had to setup my own DNS on the main Asus Router, is there a way to fix this?
  • The old IP address I had setup for the Router while in Router mode, is still active in Bridge mode, now I can access the Web interface through the IP address provided by the ISP DHCP (5G) in Bridge mode, and the old IP address configured in Router mode, is this by design? Or is it a misconfiguration I have to fix?
  • I have no way to access the Spitz via the Mobile App in iOS, because it only works with the Spitz wifi connection, even though I have access to it through the ethernet port, I cannot use the app, are you planning for a solution to this?
  • I tried to SSH to the WAN IP assigned by the ISP in Bridge Mode and to the old IP from Router Mode, in none of those cases I was able to connect via SSH, it timeout or failed, any solution for this? If I ping the IP address of the Spitz in Bridge Mode (IP provided by the ISP on the 5G WAN interface) I get a response OK, but SSH no response. SSH is a VERY important capability to have available.

Will this bridge mode option be available at some point in an official/stable Firmware release?

Please could you provide clarification and steps to follow to remediate or fix the issues.

Thank you

I’m no expert in bridging modems but am fairly certain that this behavior is correct. The Spitz is doing nothing more than passing the WAN signal to your router when in bridge mode.

I agree, but for unknown reasons, I was using the DNS provided by the ISP (5G WAN) and it didn’t work. I had to add my own on the router, weird.

Oh, the App doesn’t support this mode yet. It’s also hard to support, it’s a one-to-one mode, there’s no way to add another client.

It’s currently in a pre-research and experimental feature phase, and is only available in a limited number of scenarios. We can’t give you an exact timeframe for when it will be released.

Any other questions, @lizh please answer them.

1 Like

@lizh please could you help clarify/answer the following questions:

• The WAN (5G) DNS doesn’t work, I had to setup my own DNS on the main Asus Router, is there a way to fix this?

• The old IP address I had setup for the Router while in Router mode, is still active in Bridge mode, now I can access the Web interface through the IP address provided by the ISP DHCP (5G) in Bridge mode, and the old IP address configured in Router mode, is this by design? Or is it a misconfiguration I have to fix?

• I tried to SSH to the WAN IP assigned by the ISP in Bridge Mode and to the old IP from Router Mode, in none of those cases I was able to connect via SSH, it timeout or failed, any solution for this? If I ping the IP address of the Spitz in Bridge Mode (IP provided by the ISP on the 5G WAN interface) I get a response OK, but SSH no response. SSH is a VERY important capability to have available.

Hi logi:
Are you using ip passthrough?

—》In IP passthrough mode, the X3000 will assign the DNS of the main device to the user.

—》This should be accessible using the old gateway IP address.What firmware version are you using?

• I am not using IP passthrough

• It is not accesible using the old IP

I am using the latest stable FW from your website: 4.0-release50402

Thank you

Hi logi:

I’m very sorry.Toese days,I took a long holiday.

What mode are you using? AP,WDS,Extender?

Passthrough mode, the experimental mode

Hi logi:

IP passthrough is also ‘Passthrough mode’.

My local test was OK.Can’t you use the old gateway IP to access web pages?
Please log in via ssh and check the information after upgrading this firmware:
https://dl.gl-inet.com/?model=x3000&type=beta

ifconfig
iptables -t nat -S

Ok, I will have to reset the Router and go back to the Router mode, because with IP passthrough mode enabled I lost access to SSH regardless of what IP address I use it.

I tried to SSH to the WAN IP assigned by the ISP in Bridge Mode and to the old IP from Router Mode, in none of those cases I was able to connect via SSH, it timeout or failed, any solution for this? If I ping the IP address of the Spitz in Bridge Mode (IP provided by the ISP on the 5G WAN interface) I get a response OK, but SSH no response. SSH is a VERY important capability to have available.

I am going to reset everything to factory defaults and try again, please could you share the detailed steps to enable IP Passthrough experimental mode, do I need the Beta FW for that?

Thank you

1,Do not enable other services after password initialization.

2,Exec the following command:

curl -k http://127.0.0.1/rpc -H 'glinet: 1' -d '{"jsonrpc":"2.0","method":"call","params":["","netmode","set_mode",{"mode":"passthrough","mask":"auto"}],"id":1}'

Note: It will disabled wifi on ‘Passthrough mode’.It only runs one of the lan port using “Passthrough”.

Hi @lizh

I installed the latest Beta Firmware, and executed the curl command, the Spitz AX-3000 switched to IP Passthrough mode and worked fine.

Later on, I was able to connect to the web interface via the old gateway IP address without any problem. All good up to this point.

I wasn’t able to connect to SSH and execute the commands ifconfig and iptables you have previously requested.

This is the problem I shared a long time ago, as soon as I switch to IP Passthrough mode, I will loose the SSH capability. This is the same behavior if I use the current release firmware, with both firmwares (release and beta) as soon as IP Passthrough mode is enabled, SSH doesn’t work.

I checked the LuCI interface and SSH was enabled and properly configured. I reverted back to the Router mode, and SSH started working immediately.

Please could you review what is going on with SSH, IP passthrough mode (experimental) works great, but I need SSH working as well, thank you

In passthrough mode, ssh can be used normally.

If it is convenient for you, you can share your device to this account “gl.inet_support” through the cloud platform.I can check it remotely

I cannot do remote, but please let me know what information you need.

I have done the test multiple times and SSH to the old gateway IP doesn’t work.