Google voice calls drop continuously

I love this little router, it solves many problems for digital nomad. But when I use google voice, which defaults to wifi calling, the signal continuously drops out even though im only 3 feet from router. The router is plugged into hotel wired outlet, the speed is 50MB/s. Mobile phone connects to router wifi. I know it will be easy to blame the hotel internet but i dont think that’s it since everything else works fine.

which model please?

Unfortuantely I cannot use Google voice because they do not provide service here.

I used google meet and seems it is fine.

Pls note I do get several checks about drops when using Google meet but I cannot find the root problem yet because it works fine here.

GL-MT1300 is the model… is there anything i can look at?

I now have to travel with two routers… the GL Inet and another router for videoconferencing/google voice (or perhaps any VOIP)… seems like gl inet is dominating this space… has there been any fix for this? Is there some diagnostic info i can gather for you? (Im software engineer)

Thanks for coming back to this issue.

Is this issue persistant regardless of wifi network you are connecting to?

Do you see wifi connection dropped or only google voice dropping but general Internet browser is OK?

Yes, anytime i use google voice it drops continuously, also had issues with zoom meetings. All connections are wired (from GLI yo host router). I will travel next week and test it again and could log some diagnostics if necessary. The internet, VPN, etc work great (and you even fixed an issue i had earlier with VPN).

For google voice, the call will become choppy and i will get a red “unstable network” on the phone. I have to switch my phone to 4GLTE and then its fine…

With zoom, it will similarly start chopping and freezing.

If i connect another router to glinet, and connect my devices to that instead, the issue goes away… so this suggest the issue is on wifi only and not lan

I thought the problem is VPN. But you said you connect another router under glinet router and the issue went away. So need to investigate more.

Is the vpn always on when you with another router?

I believe this happens regardless of VPN status

While not the same device I just completed a 5 minute Google Voice call via my Spitz AX without any drop outs.

1 Like