Guest WiFi - are devices isolated from each otther?

The GL iNet documentation isn’t clear if devices connected to the Guest wifi connection are isolated from each other. It says they cannot access the admin web console but doesn’t expand.

Are they isolated from each other?

If not, how can they be?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello ! You can config this in Luci

http://192.168.8.1/cgi-bin/luci/admin/network/wireless (if your network is 192.168.8.1)

Then Select your Guest Wifi networks there and go to Advanced Settings then down Interface Coinfiguration

Select Isolate Clients

I hope that what is you wanted.

+1 I had this EXACT issue, and this was the EXACT fix, thank you so much!

Hi to all, I hope you are well?

I have created and activated a guest WLAN with “WPA2-PSK”. Because my camera does not recognize the combination “WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE” and cannot see the WLAN from the camera and log in.

But now I want the guest WLAN of the camera to communicate with the normal IP range that I use. Because I want to access the camera and I can’t access it with the browser and I can’t ping it.
I have deactivated “Isolate clients” for the guest WLAN.

But I still can’t access the camera.
Do I have to create a zone and how do I do that?
Thank you in advance for your reply.
Best regards, Elena

Guest wifi is isolated with private wifi. Why don’t you just connect all device to one wifi.

Hi alzhao, thank you for your fast replay.
Because I have activated “WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE” (192.168.8.111) in the private WLAN and all devices except my camera recognize “WPA2-PSK/WPA3-SAE”. However, the camera only sees the WLAN 2.4Ghz with “WPA2-PSK” (192.168.9.123). I therefore had to create a guest WLAN 2.4Ghz that is set to “WPA2-PSK”.

My camera connects to the guest WLAN 2.4Ghz (192.168.9.123), which works. But I would like to access the camera with the browser and that is not possible because it is connected to the guest WLAN.

Can’t you just use the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi for it? Just reduce the security to WPA2-PSK and maybe change the SSID.

Hi admon, thank you very much for your input and answer. This would be maybe the only solution, I am thinking the same. I need to do this. Thank you for your support.
Kind regards,
Elena

Well, it’s not the only solution but the fastest and hassle-free one.
Of course, you can create as many SSIDs as you like, with all the firewall settings you like as well since it’s OpenWrt.

But without deeper network knowledge this won’t be fun.

Thank you admon for the answer, I understand the situation and scenario. I don’t want to criticize anything, you understand. Everything is fine.

No worries. Just want to make sure that you understand it’s only a limitation of the GL GUI, not of the device itself :slight_smile:

Thank you. Take care and have a good time!!!

//Edit: I have found a Solution, maybe helpful for others.
I connect a Device, Laptop or Tablet to the Guest WLAN 2.4Ghz and then I use the external WAN IP to access to my Cam. This works for me.

1 Like