Has anyone gotten improved speeds using the Wi-Fi repeater?

I was curious if anyone has actually experienced improved download or upload speeds while using the router’s Wi-Fi repeater function in their house for example.

I speed tested in my house my Verizon LTE hotspot (no external antennas) 40ft away and then with my GL-iNet Beryl AX repeating the signal halfway (20ft) between me and the hotspot on 5 GHz at max power. The speeds were about the same.

Perhaps Wi-Fi repeaters that have the intention of boosting speed come with better antennas as opposed to the omni’s used on the GL-iNet?

You’ll never get a faster speed than the source your working with

Yes, I’m aware. But there are speed gains to be had with increase signal strength, which is what I’m implying here. However, I believe the reason I noticed no difference was because my signal was already strong (basically LOS). So, no need for me to use an Wi-Fi repeater. Instead, I have invested in a MIMO omni antenna for the hotspot, which will obviously make a difference on this 1-2 bar LTE signal that’s coming in from the tower.

Nah, it does not work like that. Firstly, the speed between your source and the repeater is the limiting factor. So if the speed between you and your uplink router is like 300 Mbps and the speed between your repeater and your uplink is the same - you won’t be faster by using a repeater.

Secondly, it highly depends on the environment. If there are big walls with stone and metal or just wood and paper. Signal strength does not always tell you about the speed. If you really want to test if the speed gets better by using a repeater, you have to use a local test source. Like an PC with iperf running and directly connected by wire to your uplink router.

And last: If the repeater uses the same frequency as the main router, it could affect the speed as well, since Wi-Fi is time- and frequency multiplexed. So often a repeater is not used as a speed gain but more like a distributional feature to broadcast the Wi-Fi to a more broad area. (That’s why professional repeaters are using Ethernet to connect to the main network)

I disagree. That is how it works… sometimes. If the signal is really weak, you can lose some speed because packets get corrupted or lost on their way from the router to device. Those packets then have to be re-requested and that re-request can also get corrupted or dropped, and so on until you actually get the packet you need. That said, yes, a Wi-Fi repeater theoretically should slow your speeds because you’re taking an extra hop, and in most cases that is what happens.