Help Configuring GL-MT300N-V2 as Backup Net Access

Help using the GL-MT300N-V2 tethered to an iPhone X as a backup internet connection for home router.
Just purchased the GL-MT300N-V2 travel router. I am able to tether my iPhone X to it to access the internet and it works fine. What I am trying to do is use the router/tethered iPhone combo to access the internet using my existing home router (ASUS RT-AC87U) by connecting the LAN port on the travel router to the WAN port of my ASUS home router. I believe this should work but I am unclear as to the exact configuration settings on the travel router that I need to make. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I’m going to answer my own question. I just couldn’t convince myself that it was going to be this simple but here you go for anyone looking for a simple, and inexpensive method for a temporary internet backup solution. Turn on the GL-MT300N-V2 (travel router), connect to it’s wifi using another device (I used a iPad) and go to the admin page. Connect the phone you are going to use to thether to the USB port on the travel router. I used an iPhone so you have to “trust” the router thru the iPhone then turn on then off the hotspot on the phone which should get it tethered correctly to the travel router. Once the tether is connected and working just unplug your modem from the WAN port on your existing home router and run a ethernet cable from the LAN port (not the WAN port) on the travel router to the WAN port on your home router. At that point you should be in business. Just monitor your data usage so you don’t go over whatever data cap you have on your mobile plan (if your not on an unlimited plan).
Note that I am aware that some home router/phone combinations allow you to do this without the use of the GL-MT300N-V2 (travel router) but many, like mine, don’t.

1 Like