Help with GL-MT300A as a VPN Proxy

Hello Everyone, I just received my GL-MT300A today. I have been searching the forums but cant seem to find the information that I am looking for. I have already updated the firmware to v 2.25 and have connected the router to my VPN provider. I am looking to use my GL-MT300A as a VPN proxy on my LAN where I would just change the default gateway of any one of my devices to that of the new router to route my traffic to my VPN provider. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just use the WAN port? Should I disable the firewall to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Assuming that you did setup the vpn and you have connected the gl-mt300a with the WAN port to your router/modem so it has internet connection

• you can use wireless to get internet too, but cable will give you better reliability.

Now you have to plug your device/PC/Laptop/(switch) etc… to the LAN port or the Wifi connection, and then check your IP to be sure you’re browsing through your VPN

You don’t have to disable your firewall and automatic dhcp IP and DNS will be fine, if not, manually config your IP so it matches the router’s

Maybe you need to open VPN ports in your main router if it hasn’t Upnp, follow your router instructions.

For more info about VPN setup - http://www.gl-inet.com/docs/openwrt/openvpn/

Hi Zow, Thanks for the information. What I am trying to accomplish is just to hang the GL-MT300A off of my router and use it as a default gateway for wired devices to route traffic through a vpn without having to plug a device into the LAN port. I have attached a diagram of what I am trying to achieve. I know that this type of setup is possible on a Raspberry pi box but I was hoping to use this device.

I am trying to setup something like this with the GLI hardware. http://www.empirion.co.uk/linux/linux-privateinternetaccess-using-openvpn-and-squid-proxy-part-1/

I think it is possible but you have to do the configure by yourself.

You need to install squid in MT300A first. Then you need to open some ports on your MT300A’s firewall so that it can accept traffic. You may just need to enable ACCEPT in the firewall so that it can accept all incoming traffic.

By default the firmware only route LAN traffic. So you need to configure firewall and squid so that it can work as your proxy.

I have no experience on this but I don’t think it is too difficult.

There’s a useful article on this site, I recommend to check it out.