I’ve had this happen a few times now but this is the first time I’ve had a chance to document it as I’m in the hotel. I’ve got a GL-AR300M running 2.261.
It will not detect the hotel’s SSID despite it being seen by my phone and computer. To get the connection working I went in to the advanced settings and renamed a saved SSID to the hotel’s (IHGConnect). Once I’ve done this I can reboot and it will automatically connect and work fine. The SSID details are below:
Mode: Client | SSID: IHGConnect
BSSID: 1E:8D:DB:C4:A2:4A | Encryption: None
Channel: 1 (2.412 GHz) | Tx-Power: 20 dBm
Signal: -67 dBm | Noise: -95 bBm
Bitrate: 115.6 Mbit/s | Country: US
Not sure what else is needed for a bug report here… but for some reason some SSID’s can’t be seen…