How do you manage your Ubuntu?

Just a curious question since I now have two GL-MV1000’s and was thinking about making one Ubuntu dual-boot for tinkering.

I know the image has bridged connections on fresh install, and you can run Docker etc.

What I want to know about is how the rest of you interface with it besides ssh. Any good experience with a web based GUI like Cockpit or Webmin?

My aim is to be able to manage things like the network from the web interface, but also be able to access and manage docker apps and other services. Think synology like gui.

Webmin is never a good idea. Such solutions are suitable for a absolutely standard environment, and if you are apart from this standard, you have more work with fixing webmin as handle 3-5 services.

It sound’s like you have no deeper Linux experience. To start on a embedded device could be hard, because you may read of features that are possible in a full grown Linux Desktop/Server, but won’t work at a small ARM with limited RAM.

If you really want to go this way, I’d recommend to learn about the services you’ll need and don’t make your life harder with a fancy GUI.
Even if you’d start to automate the process with puppet, chef, ansible, whatever, you need to know how to configure the service in the first place.

But as I never would try to install Ubuntu at a GL.iNet device, maybe I am the wrong audience to answer this question. I have a little experience with Linux as Desktop/Server solution.

1 Like

hi,
that unit has 1GiB RAM, more than enough to run ubuntu server.
and gl-inet claims to support it for your router
https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mv1000/
https://github.com/gl-inet/mv1000-ubuntu-image
https://forum.gl-inet.com/t/ubuntu-on-brume/10087

fwiw, i run ubuntu server headless on my raspberry pi zero, which has only 512MiB.
and if i remember correctly, i have run webmin on it.

so if you have an extra router and like to thinker, go for it, see how far you get!
thinking + tinkering = thinkering

Well that is a little unfair since I run various flavors of it including Arch, not to mention multiple servers and a few NAS boxes.

Seriously? Then why post in the first place?

I was just curious how other users like to interface with their services besides being in a terminal. I’m not asking for permission to install it on my Brume.

2 Likes

I’m deeply sorry, my intention wasn’t to insult you.
In my experience beginners want to use tools like webmin. And later put it aside, because nobody use just standard setup … It was only a conclusion, based of what I’m reading and my experience.

I’m reading here actively, because I can’t make all mistakes by myself. But when I am on the road, I want to know most of the issues, to solve them in time.

So I was very curious, why anybody installs a full blown Linux on such small hardware.
A like would be enough to follow the discussion, sure. But see Quote 1: I want to help with a little experience, so you don’t need to make every mistake by yourself. And I’ve tried to be as transparent as possible, I thought I have had made clear, this is only my personal opinion. Nobody need to accept or follow any of it.

Feel free, I am still interested in your experiences. Even if I know I don’t need to answer again.

1 Like

I want to apologize as well, I came off a bit harsh due to the miscommunication.

The option exists from gl-inet to run Ubuntu on this device, and now I have a spare one collecting dust, but I wanted to save some time to see if others have had good luck or experience with it before I started installing a bunch of things. For example how does the sdcard handle reading and writing, should I use a USB flash instead, or somebody found that using a GUI to manage their SMB shares was convenient etc.

Personally I was just going to try running a few services that I normally would run on a power hungry server like:
A few small docker containers like dozzle or heimdall, maybe even portainer, Home Assistant, AdGuard, and a torrent client, and not necessarily run it as another router. If pfsense was an option I would also try that.

2 Likes