How to create a copy of my firmware/filesystem on my GL-MT300N-V2, which I can restore later?

Backing up setting through Luci does not seem sufficient for my use case as I have a lot of custom changes to the filesystem, samba shares, etc… Can anyone tell me the series of steps to create a copy of my firmware?

Why not? You can list all files that you need to save in Luci.

Sorry, not sure what that’s supposed to mean. I’m asking how to create a firmware image and you’re showing me a section of Luci where I can set individual files/folders to be preserved when I upgrade. I never said anything about upgrading. I don’t want to maintain a list of every single file I’ve ever modified, I just want to occasionally create a firmware image for backup purposes. That is a pretty common use case.

OK, you want to build a firmware by yourself. You can use Imagebuilder to create a firmware quickly.

Making an image of the GL-MT300N-V2 firmware with all the settings and mods

Actually, I believe they want to use your firmware, make custom changes, then back the whole firmware up for loading onto other routers.

So imagebuilder is the best choice. They can place the modified configuration files in files folder, then rebuild it.