I wanted to use a Tailscale mesh rather than a self-hosted hub and spoke wireguard vpn for my site to site.
This is how I got it working on the Beryl (after some trial and error), it may work on some other devices.
- Go to https://dl.gl-inet.com/ and download the firmware version you currently have installed - if you need to restore, you might not have internet.
- Download/Backup your config. I can’t remember if you can do it through your GUI in 3.x, otherwise you can do it in the advanced Luci GUI in
- Go back to https://dl.gl-inet.com/ and download the latest 4.x firmware - we need the new Tailscale GUI on the OpenWRT 22 to support tailscale
- Flash it using the GUI installer.
- When my router came back up it wouldn’t get a DHCP address from my Modem even after a restart of both - I had to switch ports in the modem and maybe restart the modem.
I. It should auto-install the other 3 search results
- Reboot router
I. Im not sure how allow remote access WAN is helpful - presumably it is a stand in whilst they get
--advertise-exit-nodeworking - I would disable it for now.
- You will get a link to ‘bind device’, this didn’t work for me
- Instead SSH into the router then run
tailscale status, the binding link should appear, copy and paste it and authenticate
- You should see in the Tailscale admin panel that the device is now connected. You can allow any advertised routes here.
Now at this stage, whilst SSHed into the router I could ping devices on the Tailscale network and on exposed subnets, but devices on my home network, couldn’t. I.e beryl wasn’t routing the packets, pings from devices returned “Destination unreachable”. Which rather undermined the idea of site-to site. But looks as if this may not be unique to the Beryl: Tailscale cannot reach subnets on other devices - #7 by jsr
- Log in to the advanced Luci GUI panel, go to
- Edit the first row
- On the second tab add covered devices: tailscale0
- Save and Save & Apply
Edit: I find that every few days the routing fix breaks (I think something refreshes the routing tables or similar) disabling and then re-enabling the tailscale fixes it.