How to use GL-MT1300 (Beryl) with listed 3G modem when it does not auto configure the modem?

I bought GL-MT1300 (Beryl) as an upgrade to GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate). There was an USB modem, ZTE MF190, I used with GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate). ZTE MF190 is also listed as one of the tested / supported modems. This same modem that works with GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) does not work with GL-MT1300 (Beryl). I am using the latest firmware: Version: 3.211. I am following the instructions in the manual. Modem is not recognized, carrier name does not appear at all, auto setup does not work, neither does manual setup. I am out of options. I have another USB modem:ZTE MF79U which is very similar to the listed ZTE M823. ZTE MF79U works with GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2. ZTE MF79U also is not recognized and does not work with GL-MT1300 (Beryl).
I do not understand why modems working with earlier models do not work with the latest and most expensive model.
In fact this is the only router that ZTE MF190 did not work with. I have used the same modem in Asus DSL N17U, Asus RTN 56U, ASUS RT AC 1900, TP-LINK TR MR3020, GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) and GL.iNet GL-MT300N without any trouble at all. Now this same modem does not work with GL-MT1300 (Beryl) and neither does ZTE MF79U.

Maybe it is USB3 problem. Pls check this thread.

If it is USB3.0 problem it should have already been fixed in latest firmware.
https://dl.gl-inet.com/?model=mt1300&type=snapshot
If not pls let me know.

I have downloaded today’s snapshot and updated the firmware.
Rebooted the router and tried again. No change. ZTE MF190 and ZTE MF79U are still undetected. Auto Setup does not work, manual setup produces no result.

This solution (firmware update to snapshot) did not work for me. Do you have other suggestions that I may try?
I use this router on my boat. So use of a 3G / 4G dongle (USB modem) is essential to me.
Please help.

Sorry I don’t have progress on this.

Let me check the modems I have on hand.

I am also having issues getting a 4G modem working. I have a logread snip, would that help diagnosis? I’m not totally sure why it’s failing. I do keep seeing this error though I don’t know that it’s relevant:

Tue Jul 26 18:06:42 2022 daemon.notice netifd: modem_1_1 (4440): .cat: can't open '/tmp/modem.1-1/signal': No such file or directory

1 Like

but as you can connect sometimes, can you get the log when it failed?

Sorry I cannot support easytethering because the project is dead.

For Beryl, one thing need to pay attention is that you have to use the encluded power adapter or choose a good power adapter.

Some bad power adapter e.g. cheap PD power adapters will cause it crash.

What do you mean dead?

Is it the same for External modems via the USB port?

“Easytether” project is dead.

It is from How to tether Android - EasyTether. Android tethering for Mac OS X, Ubuntu, Fedora, PS3, XBox, Wii, Windows

website no update after 2020
app no update after 2018
Not replying to email inquiry