Idiots guide to fast proxy/VPN services

Hey guys,

I’m not that technical, but I’m currently traveling abroad and working remotely. What I’m trying to do is make it look like I’m still back in the US (specifically in Florida). I’m trying to figure out the best solution that strictly does that without slowing down my internet too much.

I’ve tried a few VPNs (Surfshark and Nord), and the issue is that they slow down my internet speed too much which causes issues with the VOIP phone systems I have to use etc. Which means I have to leave the VPN off until the second I need it, I flip it on, then back off again which is a total pain. Also VPNs are known to cause issues with the CRM I’m using…

I’m less interested in security, just in changing my location for the purposes of some of the applications I use require me to be in my home state in the US (think DocuSign and things like that).

Any input would be great.

I’m using Mullvad.net as my wireguard VPN and it’s running without any issues.

But beware that VPN can be detected. So you should talk to your employee - because they have ways to check for it. When your location is pretty far from your real one, the speed will indeed decrease - this is by design.

You could cause your employer a lot of tax headaches if they do find out you were working outside of Florida, assuming that is where you generally reside. You may also be violating their policies. I would tread carefully here, it could cost you your job if your company is really strict.

Thankfully I’m the business owner, so that’s not an issue.

I would look into using Nord with Wireguard. I don’t think you will find a faster VPN connection than with Wireguard. It does have it’s limitations but WireGuard uses the latest encryption protocols (ChaCha20, Curve25519, BLAKE2s, SipHash24, HKDF, etc.), making it arguably more secure than older, more established VPN protocols.

I have not seen any slowdown from using a Wireguard/Nord connection. Simply enable NordLynx in your settings and your done. There are directions online(using Ubuntu) in creating configuration files for your router so it can use Wireguard protocol with Nord.

I am also interested in VOIP with VPN solutions as I was in South East Asia all last year (major tourist areas in hotels and coffee shops) and used Express VPN with first Nextiva and then AirCall for phone calls with customers. It oftentimes worked but sometimes folks could not hear me very well and I immediately solved the problem by turning off the VPN. I’m hoping to return but would like to try with my GL-AR750S-Ext Router and currently using StarVPN and a dedicated/residential/static ip address, but even in the states I had poor VOIP connectivity one day this week (other days were fine though) with high latency, so customers could hear me fine but I couldn’t hear them well. Something that’ll always work is important rather than something that ‘usually’ works.

That highly depends on your VoIP provider, there is no general solution for that because all of them work kind of different. Some will use SIP, some TCP, some even RTC and HTTPs.

I can confirm that Mullvad works fine for me while using SIP and TLS.

I wonder then if a good use of time is simply downloading trials of different vpns like mullvad, Nord, etc and doing VOIP speed tests, but this sort of trial might be best done when you are actually in the target country you plan to work in, though this would be too late.

There are websites advocating vpns for VOIP but they appear to be affiliate marketing articles.

I fed your answer to perplexity as I have no clue on this subject: It said my current software–RingCentral-- uses a variety of protocols to ensure secure and reliable VoIP communications, including SIP for signaling, RTP/SRTP for media transport, TCP/UDP for data transmission, WebRTC for browser-based communications, and HTTPS/TLS for secure web interactions. Given this diversity, the focus should be on selecting a VPN that is known for its overall performance, stability, and compatibility with RingCentral services. And for RingCentral, their website mentions nord, expressvpn, etc basically just popular vpns which doesn’t really sound like a nuanced answer, making me think no one has easy answers for this subject, including RingCentral themselves.

Testing is always the best solution for finding a VPN that works for you.

Yeah that’s kind of what I’m running into.

I have a VOIP phone system (Wavv) that goes through my CRM (a custom build on Go High Level) and often when VPN is on I can’t even establish a connection with the VOIP servers. It happens both with Wavv and the built in dialer. I have to turn VPN off to make a call. But sometimes it works and is fine.

I’ve turned to using a browser extension for Surfshark and just turning it on for the instances I need it, and leaving it off the rest of the time.

Oddly enough, the VPN doesn’t cause an issue if I’m already in the phone call when I turn it on.

That sounds intense to optimize. Question: Which GL INET router are you using? Presuming you are using one as you’re on the gl-inet forum lol.

I was testing my GL-AR750S-Ext slate router on home wifi which normally gives me 150-300 mb dl speed without a vpn router, but the slate+my vpn was limiting me to 60 mb dl speed. I bought the GL-AXT1800 / Slate AX this week and like magic: my wifi is no longer capped and I’m getting like 160 mb DL +. Sad to say though that my VOIP calls are still at least a little choppy oftentimes especially on Friday afternoons like clockwork. Though idk if my vpn choice and fact that my home wifi only has 8 mb upload speed could be a huge factor as well. However, the calls have consistently been better than on the AR750. So this router–the gl-axt1800 definitely improved my connection, but I definitely still need to keep optimizing.

Given things improved with changing the router, now I’m working on seeing if my vpn choice can improve this. I’m using StarVPN, but I’ll purchase/trial today the dedicated ips at nordVPN, rapidvpn, torguardvpn, and maybe PIA since it looks like these guys have dedicated static ips on the East Coast USA which I want.

If someone makes a dedicated / residential / static vpn service that is so good that it can effortlessly handle VOIP while I am galavanting across the world in asia/europe then I would gladly give $100 a month for this. Heck if GL INET makes a God-tier omega alpha A router for $1000 that gives me this then I would buy it. Probably would buy for $3000 if somehow the router offered me a perfect connection somehow on some beach in the boonies of thailand or Indonesia X-D though obviously it’s not the router handling all of this ahahaha

The trick is pretty easy: Connect to the nearest VPN server possible.

It’s simply not possible - because that’s how the internet works - to connect to always the same server + getting best ping times + good speed; no matter where you are.

I see, like connecting to a Singapore server while in Singapore then is the fastest, etc. Too bad need to connect to an east coast server in the states.

Perhaps using a 24/7 coworkering space with blazing fast wifi 300 mb+ wifi could mitigate these issues.

I was able to do fairly well just using expressvpn software on my Mac last year in a variety of coffee shops while calling people in Spain and in asia, though now im using a different calling software and I want to use the vpn router so in somewhat unknown territory.

Nah.

Problem is the peering between the networks of different countries / continents.