Imagebuilder ar71xx make errors

I am trying to make an image for my recently purchased AR150 but have run into an error.
I am using ubuntu 16.04 on WSL. I have installed all the prerequisite tools as specified in the readme.
when trying to make the image file for the AR150 using the command:

make image PROFILE=GL-AR150 PACKAGES="luci’ FILES=files/files-clean-ar

it gives me this error:

Building package index…
(cd /mnt/c/gl-inet-source/imagebuilder-cc-ar71xx/packages; /mnt/c/gl-inet-source/imagebuilder-cc-ar71xx/scripts/ipkg-make-index.sh . > Packages &&
gzip -9c Packages > Packages.gz
) >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
Makefile:120: recipe for target ‘package_index’ failed
make[2]: *** [package_index] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory ‘/mnt/c/gl-inet-source/imagebuilder-cc-ar71xx’
Makefile:100: recipe for target ‘_call_image’ failed
make[1]: *** [_call_image] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory ‘/mnt/c/gl-inet-source/imagebuilder-cc-ar71xx’
Makefile:185: recipe for target ‘image’ failed
make: *** [image] Error 2

What am I doing wrong here?

Looks like you are using WSL? Move the build folder into the WSL native folders, for example to the home directory:

mv /mnt/c/gl-inet-source/ ~

And try again. The OpenWRT toolchain requires a “case sensitive” filesystem, which windows is not, so you can’t build directly from the WSL mounted drives in windows.

That would make sense as to the error. right before it errors out it tries to create the folder? named Packages and then tries to zip that. but if there is already a folder named packages in the non case sensitive filesystem, it isn’t able to create that.
I’ll go try moving the folder and its contents and see if that changes anything.

After moving the source folder to be on the hosted linux filesystem, running make now results in finished images. Thanks a bunch for helping me see the not so obvious.

You are welcome.

When you build the vanilla OpenWRT image it runs a bunch of checks before building the toolchain, and it does check for the case sensitivity and errors out. Since the image builder skips those steps for you then you also don’t get the error and it will just fail. :blush: