Is there a better way to click the button on captive portal?

I am currently at a hotel where there is a unencrypted WiFi but a captive portal where I have to hit a button, so the MAC adress gets saved and the router can connect to Internet. The connection lasts about 2 days, after which I have to hit the button again.

I run VPN (Wireguard NordVPN) as well. The connection does not work anymore after the 2 days have run out. I then have to disable VPN, connect to a website without https (I use neverssl) and get redirected to the captive portal to click the button and start VPN again.

Is there a better way of doing so? Is there a way I can exclude just the captive portal from VPN? Is doing so opening security holes?

This should be the effective time of portal, must be authenticated again, the router cannot automatically complete the authentication work.

1 Like

VPN only runs after an Internet connection has been established. The hotel disables your Internet access after 2 days, so the Internet has to be reestablished before VPN will run again.
The captive portal only works when the router is in standard mode and the VPN function cannot authenticate it for you.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

1 Like

I am currently at a hotel where there is a unencrypted WiFi but a captive portal where I have to hit a button, so the MAC adress gets saved … Ocassionally, on client projects I come across Guest Wireless Networks that require a login after connecting for further spacebar counter network/Internet access. In many cases this can be bypassed by spoofing the MAC address of a client that has already connected and authenticated to an AP One of the biggest downsides to using captive portals is the complexity they add to the user’s experience . Typically, having a user fill out a form and click through a screen or two is not a cumbersome task.