Is there any reason

Hi there :wave:

I am looking to purchase a GL-AX1800 (flint).

I was checking if there were any better versions with higher VPN speeds, (I have a 1GB connection), and I came across the same model on FlashRouters .

They sell the same product, but double the price.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the software. Is their software worth an extra 100 dollars?

Looking forward to your responses. Iā€™m very new to OpenWRT routers, so I thought Iā€™d better ask before I make some stupid decisionsšŸ˜„

Are you sure they even have different software on it?

I couldnā€™t see anything that indicated it wasnā€™t the same customised OpenWRT that GL-iNet use, and the pictures they use are the GL-iNet software.

Tbh I donā€™t knowšŸ˜„

In the features it says ā€œCustom Firmware Upgrade On-Demandā€, but idk. Indeed doesnā€™t look like anything to impressivešŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Will be going with GL.iNet, thanks for your response :slight_smile:

Just looking at the site, first off, their staff as no software developers, just sales and management. So i donā€™t think they make their own firmware in the first place.

I looked at all the guides, and it just shows stock Asus Merlin (which is a 3rd party firmware for Asus routers), DDWRT for Linksys routers and so on.

Also, i think the extra price is for their ā€œincluded 3 months email/chat support free with promoā€. Nothing is free, they are including that cost in the price :roll_eyes: .

2 Likes