Is your travel router the SAME device as used in home?

Hi,

I got a brumeW as the router to WAN,
under it I got mango and a TP link.

Now I want to have VPN when go to library.

Should I disconnect my brumeW, bring to library, “reset everything”?, bring back home,
“reset everythin” and connect it.

Or do people usually have one travel router SPECIFIC for using on street and not used at home? so that the settings, the default IP, ISP accounts etc are always the same and no need modify everytime i use at home and library? thanks.

btw, I plan to buy an opal for travel if that’s the case.

thx

1 Like

Pls do not reset everything, which is used only to fix the router when it does not work correctly.

If you want to have vpn when go to library, pls let me know what kind vpn do you need? You want connect to your home or just a 3rd party vpn service?

You surely can use the router at home or on the way. In your home, do you use PPPoE?

hi thx.

the vpn i use is nordvpn.

simply put, i only got one GL inet router BrumeW, which I now use at home for WAN. which is pppoe as you said.

then when I unplug it and move to library, what’s the procedure to make it work in library?

when I worry is the steps are quite complicated, so shd I buy one opal instead for easyness?

thx

(i know computer well, what I guess is at library i have to login via 192.168.8.1, then
search for library’s wifi, then enable vpn? thx)

If in your library you use BrumeW to connect to its wifi, you can just set up repeater in the Library and don’t touch the pppoe settings.

But if you use cable in the library you may need to change to DHCP for WAN

1 Like

There must be some device you are using, like a computer or phone, to connect over the nordvpn to the internet? You could just load the config and connect directly from that device over nordvpn to the internet without using the router.

The benefit of the router is to connect multiple devices at the same time over a single connection.

2 Likes

I have separate router for home (Asus) and travel (GL.Inet). I definitely do not want to reconfigure the same router for each purpose.

As @elorimer stated, just install the NordVPN app on your computer, smartphone or tablet. I have NordVPN also and it is an excellent VPN provider.

the reason I buy a travel router is because the NAT functions somehow alike a “firewall”.

In 2001 or something, when I insert my XP into my hall’s network, the RPC worm etc will automatically come in.

I afraid of modern worms like wannacry and other 0day attack.

What I think is linux/openwrt by default is more secure, at least not affected by above.

so my idea is : public wifi ----> openwrt —> windows notebook.

which will protect me from some disaster.

thanks

1 Like

I am just as concerned about Internet security.

I doubt a router will stop worms, viruses and malware because they generally come in via emails, website links, download files, applications, etc. that you can still bring in and infect your computer from the inside.

However, a router will offer a layer of protection from direct external attacks to your computer by exploiting any vulnerabilities. Even without a router, Windows and most anti-virus software have their own software firewall.

As always, you should make sure that your computer OS and applications is patched regularly and that you have updated anti-virus software always running.

To avoid the effort and possible error when reconfiguring the same router in switching locations, it may be worthwhile buying a dedicated travel router. I have a GL-AR750S for travel.

1 Like

Your life will be a lot less complicated if you just get a dedicated travel router, if you don’t need super high performance even many of the cheaper GL-inet ones will work pretty well.

It’s best to get a travel router with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi if you are not going to connect your laptop to it via ethernet.

3 Likes

hi,
it’s been a while so wanna update the topic.

I now use the SAME router opal for both at home and library, but at home it’s a 2nd downstream router (under brumeW) while at library it connect to library’s wifi (wifi.hk if you wanna know).

I simply set opal use router’s repeater mode, and scan for library’s wifi at library, and brumew at home.
in that case when I move the location, it simply switch the profile and still under router’s repeater mode.

thanks.

(a good buy, opal only cost USD 30).

1 Like

If you Remember both SSID’s as Saved Networks and set Repeater Options to “Auto scan and re-connect”, the router should automatically connect when at home and at library.

The XE-300 Puli is a great choice for every possible situation. It has all possible connectivity interfaces and works for every scenario in road conditions. The perfect choice for the traveler.

1 Like

Opal said Puli is a good buy.

Really? Opal for $39 USD vs. Puli for $129 USD?

It depends on your personal needs and circumstances. ccchan does not to pay for LTE at the library. I do not need to pay for LTE at hotels and my smartphone works as a hotspot.

Yes, of that I am sure. I have four Gl-Inet routers. If your usage scenarios are dominated by work outside the home - there is no alternative to the Puli and the $90 price difference ceases to matter, even if you don’t need LTE. That’s my opinion.

I am equally sure that Puli is not the “perfect choice for the traveler”, not only from GL.iNet. That’s my opinion. :grin: :grin: :grin:

What’s your choice? Name a better device than the Puli. I would like to know about this device.

Panasonic Toughbook CF-19 Mark 8 running ubuntu with high-gain WWAN and WLAN antenna passthrough. :grin: you asked.

2 Likes