Issues with Samba network drive [Firmware 4.1]

I am using an AX1300 which has replaced a Raspberry Pi 3 to provide Samba service for a media player. The whole network has been kept as before also the USB 3.0 memory stick is still the same.

  • Scanning the files on the shared network drive was quite fast with the Raspberry Pi but is extremly slow now with the AX1300. This has taken around 10 minutes before and now runs for more than one hour.
  • I also had problems to connect to the drive until I’ve added a dummy user to the list of allowed users. To explain that, I have a user ABC with password XYZ but need to add a second user DEF to be able to connect to the shared directory using the user ABC.
  • showing the network drive configuration page displays “no device detected” even my media player and windows clients are able to acess the shared folder

I don’t find AX1300 model from GL.iNet, but there is A1300. Is that the same? What is the firmware version?

Sorry, my fault - it’s a GL-A1300 (the sales people called it Slate AX some months ago).

Openwrt Version: OpenWrt 21.02-SNAPSHOT r15812+715-46b6ee7ffc
Kernel Version: 5.4.179
Firmware: 4.1.0 / Typetest_beta1 / 2022-10-13 5:32:17(UTC+08:00)

I had firmware 4.0 installed but because of multiple errors (static interface settings, Samba) I updated to 4.1 hoping it would be a better one.

1 Like

Do you have many, many small files to scan? USB drives tend to be slow for this type of access and OpenWRT may not be as optimized as RPi. The GL-A1300 and other GL.iNet routers have built-in DLNA that you can use instead of Samba to your media player.

For media sharing on my internal network, I personally just allow Anonymous Access (guest), so credentials are not required for access.

The “no device detected” may be a glitch. You can try rebooting the router to see if it goes away.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

Yes, some thousand songs and podcasts. But the old Raspberry Pi did it 10 times faster using the same USB device, the same LAN port, even the same IP address (and yes, the Raspi is not in the network anymore)…
Anonymous SMB has been removed from some devices (because it’s vulnerable), I need to use NTLMv2+. That was the reason I have bought this device (asked the Gl.iNet support in may to tell me the best device for doing that job) and installed a workaround (the Raspi)…
…now month later I got the A1300 and the hardware looks quite nice for me but the firmware is not as good…
Rebooting did show the device (let’s see for how long) but all other issues (the error message, the ignorance of the default gateway etc.) is still present.

Not sure if ICMP has low priority or the whole IP stack itself doesn’t perform well - pinging the device just with a Gigabit switch inbetween shows response times not faster than 2ms and often much more (even over 100ms). ICMP replies from all other devices on the same switch show constantly 1ms. :interrobang:

Not very happy at the moment, seems like it would have been better to stay with the Raspberry Pi :frowning:

The GL-A1300 is a travel router and I am not personally impressed with its performance, which only offers minor improvements in performance over my older and smaller GL-AR750S travel router. To be fair, the GL-A1300 is new and maybe the firmware will get better, although I doubt that it will be 10 times faster.

Maybe you can do some basic data reading test to see what is the speed.

A1300 may not have good USB read/write speed.

You can tell me what is the speed when reading from Pi 3 so that I can tell if some of our products can compete with that.