Latest Firmware for X3000 Spitz-AX?

Hi! Looking at GL.iNet download center I’m having trouble telling which one is the latest firmware with the most features. There are a bunch of different release numbers and dates. Some of the dates overlap. Any guidance? Is the highest release number the latest firmware?

For Example:
Version: 4.0-release50303
vs
Version: 4.0-release10301
vs
Version: 4.0-release20300

1 Like

It looks like someone is trying to clean up the naming conventions (adding the release number to the title - it never used to be there) and is making things worse/more confusing. In particular, the “File Modified” date seems to be unintentionally changing to the date the title was changed. Hopefully, the admins can work on making this more transparent.

Anyway… the most recent firmware is at the top of the list (Version: 4.0-release10305). If you hover your cursor of the “DOWNLOAD” button, you’ll see the full filename of the firmware. E.g. 10305 is: openwrt-x3000-4.0-release10305-0707-1688700876.bin. Breaking that filename down:

• x3000 - the model name, GL-X3000 - or Spitz AX
  • 4.0-release10305 - the major and minor version numbers
  • 0707 - The compile date in MMDD format (no year… which will be frustrating at some point in the future). In htis case, July 7. There is no timezone associated with it in the filename, so if you’re looking at something very recent it may actually show as “tomorrow”.
  • 1688700876 - The unix timestamp for the compile date/time. In this case, that’s Fri Jul 07 2023 03:34:36 GMT+0000. Here is an online timestamp converter if you’re interested - there are plenty more around.
1 Like

Amazingly helpful reply. Thank you @RVer

Hey @RVer do you know how to map the beta releases to the release notes on github? I wish the release notes were included with the beta releases themselves… Thanks again!

For example does the current beta release on the download site map to Release v4.4.2_x3000_release4 · gl-inet/gl-infra-builder · GitHub?

Thanks!

Ah, I see if I upload the firmware to my router I can see the release notes there… would be nice if they were on the beta download site!

1 Like

The same notes are also on the download page ! Just click in the Release note button below each release.

@SpitzAX3000 Thanks, but not on the beta page as far as I can see. GL.iNet download center

1 Like

You’re right it should be added on the beta page as well.

The release notes on the download page I find are often incorrect/not updated, but if you download the update then open the release notes in the update page they are accurate.

2 Likes

I tried all the firmware on the download page and the X3000 keeps rebooting itself continuously. I am never able to get to the user interface.
What could be happening? How do i fix this problem?

Rebooting is mostly some power issue. Are you sure that this isn’t the problem?

I don’t understand, what you mean by power issue.
I am using the power supply that came in the box with this router.
Also, when i use the OLDEST firmware v4.3.0, it has no problem, booting up and provide me with the user interface. But then it says, the firmware has a bug and i must upgrade to the latest version. If i choose to say yes, it downloads new firmware, installs it and the reboot process continues forever.

Download latest stable firmware then flash it from LuCi instead. Report back.

I downloaded latest v 4.4.6
Used Luci to upload and reboot
The router keeps power cycling over and over again.

Here is how it goes…
It starts with power LED on
A few seconds later the 2.4GHz LED flashes twice and then goes away
Then power LED goes away.
Wait another few seconds later, the power LED and 2.4GHz and 5GHz LED flashes once and then the router power cycles.
This cycle keeps repeating itself

Are you connected the modem using Ethernet cable while uploading and flashing ? If yes and the same issue persists then you may need to flash uboot itself.

where do i download uboot to flash?
yes i am connected via ethernet on WAN as well as on LAN port.

Send an email to: support@glinet.biz

Instructions on how to use Uboot.

You do NOT need to update the Uboot version itself. Simply boot into Uboot and update your firmware there. Use whatever version of firmware you would like (ie.4.4.3 or 4.4.6).

Thank you.

I have already tried this method. I actually tried ALL of the firmware listed here.
https://dl.gl-inet.com/router/x3000/

Except for the oldest firmware (4.3.0), all other firmware (4.3.1 thru 4.4.6) goes through constant reboot. I also tried snapshot 4.6.0 (dated 2024/03/21). I am still getting constant reboot.
The 4.3.0 doesn’t do a constant reboot. I can get to the web page however it has bugs and it
reminds me constantly that i must upgrade the firmware.

So i am still stuck, as before.

I have tried using non-gli firmware from openwrt builds and they work just fine.

This is available here:- (v
https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/targets/mediatek/filogic/
openwrt-mediatek-filogic-glinet_gl-x3000-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

So my conclusion is, something is not right with gli.net x3000 firmwares.
Perhaps something could be done about it.