Link to a siemens PLC

Hi everyone,

I have a question, i’m very new to all of this.

I brought a GL-SFT1200 with the only purpose to get a wireless connection to siemens PLC/ industrial environments. I chose this product because of the syze and the USB C port.

I’ve been trying to get this connection working all the morning long but impossible to see the the plc even with proneta.

I have several things in my configurations :

W10 computer connected to the wifi, with inside a W10 VM running on vmware, connected throught custom Virtual network with wireless card.

Plc directly connected to LAN port of the GLInet (tried wan as well).

But, i cannot see the plc from my computer.

I tried to open the tia port (102).

Thank you for your assistance.

I don’t know much about PLC. I would like to know whether there will be some protocol communication between them?

There will be only wired communication between them if this is what you mean, except this, only industrial protocols like profinet, modbus etc.

I want to use the router the easiest way, only to replicate the network to be able to grab everything thought the WIFI, from my Virtual machine

I have had success connecting a PLC S300 to a switch, connecting an AR300M to this same switch and being able to use Simatic Step 7 remotely (via WiFi) to program and monitor the PLC. The clue comes in the IP address range you are using. First you need to check what’s the IP address set in the PLC , then configure your router to be into this IP address range.

Thank you for your reply, is that possible to open the mask to see adresses like 192.168.0.XXX and 192.168.1.XXX ? I didn’t find it

First of all it’s very important that you must know the IP address range of the PLC.The default address normally is 0.0.0.0 (unless someone changed the IP address already).
I’d connect directly from the PC to the PLC using a LAN cable to double check. I’d recommend to change the PLC address to 192.168.X.Y (X and Y are random numbers) and to change the IP address of the router to something inside that range. Connect the PLC to the router via LAN or both to a switch. Then you wouldn’t have a problem to connect the PLC to the router and to have remote access.

1 Like

Keep in mind that the PC network card (in case you’re connected via lan cable) must be configured to this same IP address range.

I understand what you mean 2 remarks :

• My application has 3 PLC in 2 ranges adress : 192.168.0.XXX and 192.168.1.XXX, will i be able to connect to both?
  • TIA portal has some nice feature that prevent you from always taking care of you IP adress, mask etc… Even if you are not on the right range of IP adress, you can still have visibility of the equipments. This feature seems lost with the SFT1200. I would like to keep it.

Regards

1 Like

If anyone has a suggestion, i’ll take it, otherwise i’ll have to send this routeur back to the seller.

Thank you

A vlan seting will do the trick for mt300n-v2. Maybe it’s the same case for sft1200.
Here’s an example setting:

uci set network.lan.ifname='eth0.0'
uci set network.@switch_vlan[0].vlan='0'
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

FYI

Had the same problem with the GL-SFT1200 not seeing a S7-1200 PLC and HMI KTP400. This router acted like this hardware didn’t exist when trying to do a network search for devices.

Researched it down to this Router won’t pass TIA Portal profinet DCP protocol, even though it’s TCP/IP.

Siemens suggests to put a ethernet profinet certified switch and connect the PLC’s and HMI’s then connect in the Wireless router to that same switch.

I can now use this wireless router with that switch for my test equipment in the field, so it will work just an additional part and cost.

GL-inet does make some portable routers that will work with DCP like the GL-XE300, it’s a hotspot type router but my company uses it for remote work programming with the siemens PLC’s.

Hope this helped.

1 Like

Same problem here. i have set a fix ip to my computer and the PLC, and i can even do a PING and i get answers from the PLC but siemens Tia Portal cant find any device.

Hi guy, where should i change this config? THX

ssh into the router and run the previous list commands.
use ssh please refer to:

thx for the help but it didnt work. I did PING in cmd and i got answers but siemens couldnt find any device.

Try to add another uci command to

uci set network.lan_dev.name='eth0.0'
uci set network.lan.ifname='eth0.0'
uci set network.@switch_vlan[0].vlan='0'
uci commit network
/etc/init.d/network restart

It will probably not work due to switch driver reason.