List of current feature requests 2023

Hi. First, thank you for a well-designed product and decent support and documentation. I am a user of Opal in a Camper Van. The Opal product is very close to being a very functional travel router/repeater. There are four features that would compel every camper van traveler to own one of your devices:
CRITICAL:

1. Somewhat higher-gain antennas
  2. Ease of dealing with captive portal logins that require acknowledging of rules, without requiring a user name or a password
  3. Low cost
    NOT-SO-CRITICAL
  4. Ability to provide a loca mobilel ‘WiFi hot spot’ by using a cellular SIM card.

Best regards.
Omer.

1 Like

I’m guessing you need to buy a cellular router? Such as

The first two points have absolutely hit the nail on the head and would make these things unrivalled as travel routers but these vital features have yet to be realised despite so many requests for the same over the years.

Feature Request: multiple VPN tunnels simultaneously and dynamic routing (OSPF)

It would be perfect if there could be more than one active Wiregurad connection at the same time and OSPF implementation for dynamic routing between the VPN connections.

I have two VPN routers at home and configured two Wireguard connections on my Slate AX which I have to switch over manually in case on VPN router is down. Additionally, I have installed and configured OSPF to automatically adjust the routes beween both VPN connections.

1 Like

Hi @yuxin.zou, thanks for the reply. You have not addressed the first two items of my list. A comparison chart for the features and capabilities of the GL-iNet devices would be a very useful tool as well for more informed decision making before puchasing.

Please, remember to support port ranges in firewall. GL-MT3000 firewall port range

It says 160 Mhz support since 4.2 but on Flint I only see 80 Mhz 0n stable 4.2.3? Maybe not supported on this model.

Flint has a number of problems with wifi on the current release.
In no particular order:

• My flint came from the EU store with wireless region set to US very recently
  • It’s not possible to change the wireless region in the gl.inet gui, only through luci
  • Even after you change the region in luci, you still cannot pick DFS channels in the gl.inet gui, only in luci
  • And even after you succesfully set you region, and set a DFS channel in luci, after a radar scan happens and the device moves to channel 36 (i can see it in the logs), it will not move back to the DFS channel originally set, it will be at channel 36 until a reboot.

Kinda disappointing to be honest, for a device thats been on the market for almost 2 years now. I expect it to be rock stable, not this.

3 Likes

I suggest that you send a support request via email

We have been trying to optimize the captive portal authentication scenarios in hotels. However, we cannot guarantee to cover all scenarios.

Did you run into any problems regarding the antenna? Does the device’s Wi-Fi not cover your room?

1 Like

Just did that, thanks!

is there any desire to add GUI support for more than one Modem connected via USB? I come from an OpenWRT use where we could set up mwan3 to allow for multiple USB attached modems. either by using the internal modem (depending on model) or using a USB3 hub to attach multiple modems to a single router.

the3.2.3 firmware GUI shows load balancing for 2 modems, so it looks like it might be on the roadmap???

using my spitxAX as a test the dmesg shows a different HW path when using a hub:

Working
[11699.964365] qmi_wwan 1-1:1.4: QuectelEC25&EC21&EG91&EG95&EG06&EP06&EM06&BG96&AG35 work on RawIP mode

Not working port 1:
[11657.211958] qmi_wwan 1-1.1:1.4: QuectelEC25&EC21&EG91&EG95&EG06&EP06&EM06&BG96&AG35 work on RawIP mode

having multiple LTE/5G carriers is really a benefit when traveling. would hate to lose the possibility.

Glad to hear that negotiating the blooming captive portals is finally starting to possibly be getting some long awaited attention…

Request: Total bandwidth stats, and real time down/upload speed
I know you guys plan to add more statistics charts for routers, especially AX1800 in the future. However, it’s just amazing if you update the total bandwidth stats (total download/upload), and real time down/upload speed of the all clients (not per device) at the first glance of the UI.
I see there many remaning spaces to do so

Yes, and the UI on Android/IOS version too. I think it’s not difficult to implement this kind of stats on current UI, but it’s necessary to monitor the health of the Internet.

1 Like

I would agree. I think we also need a monthly bandwidth manager, where we can track usage.

Here are some good examples from Firewalla.

We also need a network performance chart that can display ping, packet loss, and maybe speed test?

6 Likes

What I posted above can easily be added. Vnstat for monthly usage.

Internet testing wan testing, I wrote some small scripts that I use.
WAN monitoring with outage time:

Packetloss:

One good feature could be multi psk where you can use multiple wifi passwords without a radius server to use vlan.

Currently I’m running this setup on the Flint which has a different network which is more personalized.

There are two ways of doing these:

in the original hostapd documentation you have sae_password where you can append vlan arguments in, currently in OpenWrt this one doesn’t seem to be included as of yet.

There is also a other way which requires to set the wpa2 encryption, with option dynamic_vlan '1' and option wpa_psk_file '/etc/hostapd.wpa_psk' in /etc/config/wireless

Here is the topic about this:

It would be nice to see something like this inside the web ui among vlan management aswell :+1:

1 Like

Add a total WAN/LTE current bandwidth usage graph

4 Likes

I would love to have better stats, for instance the bandwith through the VPN for the last day, 7 day or month for instance (or even batter a fixed day of the month since usually vpns can have a bandwith limit and understanding the usage would be great)

now what i really hate is that at every reboot or also ethernet plugging back resets these stats… unluckily i have to do this often since i live h24 in a residence with captive portal so often i have to renew the mac auth and i need to unplug the ethernet over again

i do not know if also those stats are altered by hw acceleration and I also do not know if this functionality would be included in the already listed one

“Add traffic statistics analysis chart, including the history of the interface, client traffic. (only cloud display, because frequent writes will reduce device life)”

4 Likes

Agreed. I would also like stats (device usage per hour/day/month, also wan usage, and conntrack to be logged to a SQLite db if possible.

That would really compliment the other items added.

1 Like