List of current feature requests 2023

Implemented

Since firmware 3.x

• Added new mode support for use as a bridge.
  • Added support for setting PIN code in QMI mode.

Since firmware 4.0

• Optimized for file sharing, added permissions control, added WebDAV Protocols.
  • Added logs page and allow export log file.
  • Optimized disk space usage.
  • Optimized Cellular interaction to prevent mistakenly touching the reset modem button.
  • Added support for lock BSSID.
  • Added Based on the VLAN VPN Policy.
  • Added support for running OpenVPN and WireGuard servers at the same time.
  • Support for configuring site to site without GoodCloud (WireGuard Server can configure AllowedIPs when generating client profiles).
  • Added monitoring for SIM card traffic usage.
  • Added support for WPA3.

Since firmware 4.1

• Added LED control.
  • Optimized Wi-Fi Mode options to support only ac.
  • Added failover and load balancing.
  • Added overview page to show hardware status of CPU, memory, etc.
  • Added the feature of modifying the name of the client device.

Since firmware 4.2

• Added TailScale.
  • Added the feature of blocking new clients accessing the Internet. (in Parental Control)
  • Optimized support for AgGuard Home to allow users to see which client the request came from.
  • Added Wi-Fi scheduled control.

Other

• Added 5G Cellular in new products (Spitz AX…).
  • Update OpenWrt to latest version. (We have been continuously updating as much as possible)
  • Added 2.5G Ethernet Port in new products (Brume2 / Beryl AX…).
  • Added support for DFS (Slate AX / Beryl AX / Spitz AX…).
  • Added Docker CE and Dockerman packages to the repository for Brume2.
  • Allowed App remote access to the router.
  • Added support for 160MHz bandwidth (Beryl AX / Spitz AX…).
  • Allowed remote enabling/disabling of Wi-Fi.
  • Provided products that support direct communication with IoT devices (GL-S200).

Planned

Since firmware 4.3

• Optimize Cellular signal strength font color.
  • Add the feature of setting Cellular by operator. (We will preset some operator profiles and gradually add)

Since firmware 4.4

• Add access control feature to block new clients to access LAN and WAN.
  • Add dual WAN port feature. (Only Spitz AX and some new products)

Since firmware 4.5

• Add SIP ALG options.
  • Add clients Isolation.
  • Add the Admin Panel Access Port option to allow users to use port 80/443 for other purposes.
  • Add a security option that allows users to disable http.

Since firmware 4.6+

• Optimize for network storage, resolving issues with FTP and NFS protocols, solving some SMB compatibility issues. (FTP and NFS added in version 4.2 were not released as stable due to too many bugs)
  • Add the feature to manually enter encrypted DNS.
  • Add Qos.
  • Optimize firewall features to support blocking specific IPs from accessing open or forwarded ports.
  • Add traffic statistics analysis chart, including the history of the interface, client traffic. (only cloud display, because frequent writes will reduce device life)
  • Add debug information export.
  • Resolve the problem that WireGuard clients connected to the server via DDNS are disconnected when the server IP changes.
  • Optimize the wg server to allow custom endpoint domain.

Other

• Upgrade to 4.x firmware for older products. (Beta versions of most models will be coming soon)

In Research

For these requirements, we have to research the technical solution or evaluate its impact on other features. So we can’t promise to these.

• Optimize VPN policies to support multiple VPN clients at the same time and use composite VPN policies.
  • Solve the problem of hotel hotspot can not be authenticated.
  • Add 10G Ethernet Port in new products.
  • Add built-in speed test tool to admin panel.
  • Optimize VPN Client to support automatic try to reconnect in failure.
  • Add Port Trigger.
  • Add Port Protection.
  • Add VPN policy domain list subscription feature to support automatic domain name update from url.
  • Optimize parental controls to support disabling adult content for children.
  • Optimize WireGuard support for entering more AllowedIPs.
  • Upgrade OpenVPN to 2.6.
  • Optimize toggle button settings to support switching guest network enable status.
  • Add package description and statistics to the plug-in page.
  • Add DoH, DoT, and DoQ blocking.
  • Add global speed limit to limit the speed of new clients.
  • Optimize S2S to support client device access.
  • Add IP address reservation export.
  • Add whitelist for DNS rebinding attack protection.
  • Optimize clients support show clients connected through other VLANs and different DHCP.
  • Optimize the interaction, support the main page to quickly switch the VPN enable status.
  • Add automatic configuration support for T-Mobile.
  • Add automatic Let’s Encrypt certificate request.

Under Consideration

• Add VLAN management. (Perhaps available in a new desktop router product, not considering adding to travel routers yet)
  • Allows users to remotely shut down/sleep devices with battery.
  • Device is able to be powered by cable with the built in battery unplugged.
  • Add Ziggbe interface.

Not Planned

• Add support for SSR/V2Ray…
  • Add support for SFTP.
  • Optimize Captive Portal.
  • Add display of device connection time.
  • Add option to allow users to change country/region. (Authorization Standards is not allowed)
  • Optimize Tor to allow users use Tor and VPN as same time.
  • Add buttons to the UI to allow users to access Uboot. (Technically unattainable)
  • Add VPN scheduled connections.
  • Add band steering.
  • Add pi-hole.
  • Add backup/restore settings.
  • Add file explorer.
  • Add torrent tool.
  • Add Vulnerability Scanning.
  • Add CIFS kernel support for ubuntu to MV1000.
  • Add feature that pass all traffic through SSH tunnel.
  • Optimize VPN traffic display with support for saving and manual clearing.
  • Add support for mesh and 802.11s.
  • Optimize DNS to allows different DNS to be assigned to different clients.
  • Add the feature to implement the extroot configuration.
  • Don’t blow the router name around by NETBIOS. (Technically unattainable)
  • Optimize NTP Support secure NTP servers or use DNS-based time sources.
  • Optimize Wi-Fi txpower option to allow users to set value. (Authorization Standards is not allowed)
  • Add wake on LAN.
  • Add support for B48/3.5-3.7GHz LTE card.
  • Add mesh.
  • Add the feature to enter ussd commands.
  • Optimize VPN client to ensure that the DNS of the client using the VPN is not overridden by AgGuard Home’s DNS.
  • Add alerts for sim card traffic overage.
  • Add OpenNDS.
  • Add device schedule on/off.
  • Lower fan start-up temperature.
  • Add package installation path option to support installation to USB storage devices.
25 Likes

Thank you for the extensive explanation of plans for further development of the software.

Referring to my request in the 2022 list, for those Routers sold as Travel Routers, that the Country Code can be amended on the fly via the GLiNET App and in WebAdmin I am very disappointed by this not being a planned change.

It is a Travel Router. If users are “really” to comply with local standards, then the user should be given the responsibility to make this change; otherwise you constrain the Router to a limited frequency set, and then what is the point of a Travel Router?

k.

1 Like

Fortunately with GL.iNet router there is always a way

4 Likes

For my comment that way is not for the ordinary user, sorry, not the right way.

If country code can be changed in the default UI, it will not even pass certification.

There is no regulation for “travel router” yet.

6 Likes

Sorry, the standards for each region do not allow this feature to be added. If they had allowed it, we would have done it long ago.

Europe

North America

2 Likes

Totally understood sir - but these regulations are for Routers that are primarily designed to be used in the country or region they are sold, as fixed units.

I understand you must comply with these regulations, but with all due respect, you actively sell Travel Routers that, whilst compliant in the country of sale, may not be compliant in countries to which users Travel.

You are fully aware (because that is how they are marketed) that they will be used in other countries where they may no longer be compliant; clearly at these locations you no longer have any ownership of the issue.

Whilst there is some welcome pragmatism in the method of circumvention already discussed in other threads, for advanced users, I find your defence of not being able to supply such a country code switch, so as to meet regulatory controls, to be somewhat hypocritical. At the end of the day you comply, but market a device which may not comply, when used for travel, in equal measure.

k.

I understood that a travel router needs to have different rules. But there is no rules to follow. So we need to be clever

4 Likes

Fair enough, as I said above I fully understand why you cannot add the CC function but there are some caveats to the Travel Router moniker for everyday users. Maybe one day someone will make ASUS Merlin-like fIrmware for GLiNET that adds this in … :grinning:

1 Like

Great list and products. I am excited for the continuous support for NAS options (especially NFS, as I use it now manually). But probably the top feature request for me is enforcing VPN policies on WAN traffic. Is this on your list ? I can see an item for VPN policies that is not related to my request:

My use case is using your products as security gateways on existing home networks. By definition, there exist another router (usualy the ISP’s) on the network that talks directly to the ISP, and all devices are mostly connected to it. As of firmware 4.2, enforcing VPN policies works exclusively on LAN traffic. It would be immensly helpful to apply VPN policies to all devices.

1 Like

This case will be considered when designing the new VPN policy.

1 Like

Appreciate if you add eSIM/iSIM support to mudi GL-E750.

The option may be/may not be available on Asus routers distributed in specific regions:

I do no have the option on my RT-AX88U running Asuswrt-Merlin purchased in Canada.

I do not work for and I am not directly associated with GL.iNet

Interesting, thanks; I don’t have enough details to know which regions do or don’t, but certainly routers from China (even if bought in another Country) do not, as noted by RMerlin, and others.

In fact, we are discussing the solution for it. If things go well, the eSIM card will be added to the improved E750 and the new Cellular router products.

3 Likes

Hey,
thanks for this thread, very useful.

2 questions:

1. Tailscale exit node option was promised in 4.3 in another thread. It is not mentioned here?
  2. Any chance Tailscale custom server (headscale) will be added to the list?
4 Likes

Which thread are you referring to?
Tailscale selecting an exit node is now supported in version 4.2. There is a technical issue with the router as Tailscale exit node in development and we are working on it. It will be released when the issue is resolved, not sure which version.

1 Like

Hi, selecting an exit node is supported. I was referring to advertising itself as an exit node.

2 Likes