Mainline OpenWRT on GL-X1200 Amarok

Hi, hope this is the right place to make contact; if not, please feel free to send me elsewhere to the correct contact point. :slight_smile:

I’m interested in your GL-X1200 router, but am looking to run mainline OpenWRT on it, building my own heavily stripped down image. (I’m not a fan of web interfaces or unused code on networking hardware.)

I’m fine with tracking git master branch if support hasn’t yet hit a release, but can’t see any device tree under

git.openwrt.org Git - openwrt/openwrt.git/tree - target/linux/ath79/dts/

and I can see the commit adding ath79 support for the GL-X750, but no corresponding commit for the GL-X1200:

git.openwrt.org Git - openwrt/openwrt.git/commit

Does it just run the same image as a GL-X750, or has there been a problem with upstreaming support for this router?

Welcome Chris!

GL.iNet provides source for their firmware at GitHub - gl-inet/openwrt: This repository is fork from openwrt official repo, we will update the latest tag and release GL.iNet firmware based on it.. I believe you should be able to build a v18 image from that, configured as you desire. 19.07.0-rc1 was just tagged, so I expect that GL.iNet will update their firmware once 19.07 is a “release” and the dust has settled.

Most likely the reason that it hasn’t been “upstreamed” is a combination of the deprecation of the ar71xx target, no SPI-NAND support on ath79 (yet1), and nobody with a GL-X1200 in hand to do the port to ath79 and test it.

1 Long story, but it looks like this will finally be merged to master (not 19.07) in the next few days

1 Like

It’s a bit early for Amarok, looking in from the outside - cloning gl-inet’s repo is a good place to start.

git clone https://github.com/gl-inet/openwrt.git

And there you’ll find the target… that should get you sorted

amarok-openwrt-glinet-fork

FWIW - as @jeffsf mentions - over on ath79 on master, there are issues with flash on split NOR-NAND targets, and it seems that Amarok might fall into that bucket, similar to GL-AR300M and GL-AR750S on the ath79 branch

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I’d spotted gl-inet’s repo, but as you say, they’ve based their patches against a release branch and an obsolete system target, rather than master and ath79. There’s also a bunch of other patches applied there as well as the extra profile for GL-X1200.

I’m probably over-paranoid about non-mainline forks from working with kernels on embedded ARM boards, where manufacturers throw prehistoric “BSP” kernels over the wall to rot, never rebasing them. (Their patches are often of such embarrassingly poor quality that they’d never make it into the mainline kernel: sometimes they can’t even write a device tree for their own hardware correctly!)

gl-inet do give the appearance of being much higher quality than that.

I’m reluctant to commercially deploy anything that isn’t properly upstream, but if I get some free time, I’ll buy a test router and have a dig at the relevant diffs as they’re quite possibly trivial to port forward on top of openwrt master with your pending NAND+NOR flash patches.

With any luck, gl-inet will beat me to it…

Even on master, ar7xxx/ar9xxx is not obsolete, not just yet - much of this is around the migration to ath79 with device tree, and then there is the NOR/NAND split issues for devices that support NOR/NAND

Onboarding a new target into Mainline - yes, going with ath79 would be a long term solution, but as mentioned earlier, would take a contributor time to bring it on board, and this is a fairly new device, probably not in the hands on one with the skills, and more importantly, upstream commit access into master.

If you look at Master now - you’ll find quite a few GL-Inet targets already in and supported.