Mango issue with TP-Link Archer v20

Trying to get a Mango to connect to my home VPN.

When I import a config file for Nord VPN into the Mango, it works.

Have a TP-Link Archer V20 at home. Turned on UDP VPN and exported “Home” VPN config file. Using OpenVPN client on a laptop a state or two away, imported the “Home” VPN config: works.

However, if I import the Home VPN config into the Mango, I can indeed connect (based on the fact that I can call up the admin page of the Archer V20 through it), but I can’t access the internet. Comparing the two config files, I’m not seeing anything that would explain why the Mango won’t connect.

ANY IDEAS?

The two configs are below (anything in square brackets is not literal but hidden from this post for security reasons)

HOME VPN CONFIG

client
dev tun
proto udp
float
nobind
redirect-gateway
cipher AES-128-CBC
comp-lzo adaptive
resolv-retry infinite
remote-cert-tls server
persist-key
persist-tun
remote [my home’s dyn IP] 1194

NORD VPN CONFIG

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote (Nord’s IP) 1194
resolv-retry infinite
remote-random
nobind
tun-mtu 1500
tun-mtu-extra 32
mssfix 1450
persist-key
persist-tun
ping 15
ping-restart 0
ping-timer-rem
reneg-sec 0
comp-lzo no
verify-x509-name CN=[hidden].nordvpn.com

remote-cert-tls server

auth-user-pass
verb 3
pull
fast-io
cipher AES-256-CBC
auth SHA512

On the TP-Link router Open VPN settings, have you turned on Client Access to Internet and Home Network? I think it defaults to Home Network Only?

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

Yeah, it has an option for Home Network Only or Internet and Home Network and I have it set to allow Internet and Home access.

Please try to change this to

redirect-gateway def1

It’s not consistent. The exact config file works fine when loaded into the OpenVPN software client. Sometimes it seems like it worked but maybe it was just loading a cached web file. Why would a config that worked in the OpenVPN client not work in a Mango?

So does this thing create logs so that we can troubleshoot why OpenVPN works using this config but Mango does not?

You can use the command to export a more detailed log by command:

logread -e openvpn

So I have to SSH into the device to enter that?

Yes for 3.x firmware :see_no_evil:
You can try to upgrade to firmware 4.x GL.iNet download center