Maximum needed bandwidth (RV or Road Worrior)

I am very happy with my Beryl. I am in Denmark at my first live test. It works great.

So I am talking to a lot of people who has got the same situation. Mostly needs Internet in RV.
I have a little understanding about databases, networking and security.

Most people asking about the bandwidth. Even at the product pages one of the first number ist the performance of OpenVPN vs. WireGuard. The transmission and the crypto are completely different, of course WG is ‘better’, on the plain ‘How much’ table … I will write more, later.

So, my question is: What bandwidth is needed in real life?
Of course, more is better. But what is the minimum?

I am writing right now with 6MBit/s (WLAN Bridge), while my wife is watching Netflix. And if Netflix isn’t working, she will switch to her kindle. A new book is copied fast.
Some of my people mentioned, OpenWRT gives only 512MBit/s at 998MBit/s from the Fritz!Box…
At home, maybe I would be bothered with this measurement. But there I have a OPNSense on a 2-3 Node Proxmox Cluster with 4 Port I1000e LAN. I’ve got different issues, than a limited closed source WLAN driver.

1 Like

In multiple month or longer trips to Mexico and Central America, first with a AR300m16 and later with a AR750s, I have found I can live comfortably with 5Mb down, 2Mb up if there is not huge latency or packet loss. I can stream videos at an acceptable resolution, make voice and video calls over Google Voice, Skype or Whatsapp, and do a bit of development work.

Currently I’m in a place in Mexico with 50Mb down, 15Mb up. My AR750s connected via Ethernet to the router in the place and is able to do 45Mb down running Wireguard to a VPS in the US. As long at the AR750s does not break, I see no reason to replace it, as its plenty fast enough for me on the road. The main reason for upgrading to the AR750s was I wanted both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz support, so I can use 1 band for WAN connect, and the other to my devices.

1 Like

I’m using speedtest-go from termux (android) without root:

~ $ speedtest-go
Testing From IP: 62.93.xxx.xxx, (TNG Stadtnetz GmbH) [53.7843, 9.7627]

Target Server: [4087]    18.46km Norderstedt (Germany) by wilhelm.tel
Latency: 85.34769ms
Download Test: ....................................
Upload Test: ...................

Download:  7.60 Mbit/s
Upload: 28.94 Mbit/s

Denmark (west midjydland) - [WireGuard VPN on Beryl] - North Germany [WireGuard Server on Proxmox cluster] - Internet over fiber 600up, 150down.
Right now, during the test, my wife is playing Xbox via Streaming (Android to Series X). She is happy → Happy wife, happy life :wink:

Without Xbox streaming from a Windows Laptop, 2h later:

Hosted by AmigoNet s.r.o. (Ústí nad Labem) [453.72 km]: 49.601 ms
Testing download speed................................................................................
Download: 36.55 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed......................................................................................................
Upload: 28.53 Mbit/s
1 Like