Meet Brume 2!

Got my Brume 2 today, Fedex is the worst shipper in the world, what a disaster, customer support is almost non existing, gets 1 star on Trustpilot here in NL.
Aside from that, got a (Proton) Wireguard connection up in a minute, speeds are over 300 Mb/s on a 1 Gb connection which is great.

I changed the Brume 2 Wireguard server to uses Port 51821 to get cascading WireGuard server with NordVPN WireGuard, which had a conflict on Port 51820.

Performance is pretty good (my Internet plan is max. 30Mbps upload from the ISP).

BTW, cascading WireGuard server with NordVPN OpenVPN and cascading OpenVPN server with NordVPN WireGuard both work fine.

1 Like

I got my last week too.

The crypto department is a mess. Where is Bridger? I am not sure if the packet acceleration works. It is slow

I don’t understand the decision to cut down entire WIFI support, basically any wifi dongle doesn’t work. The device has heaps of storage, what’s the point stripping the FW?

I am still into plain stock openwrt device, it is pain even to change the default 80 service port, okay found it later.
If you compile from infra builder, you don’t get needed kmod libs.

Also for those who will manage to brick the device the filename has to be oppenwrt-gl-mt2500.bin in uboot, at least that’s what uart says.

1 Like

In bridge mode Adguard menu disappear…
Isn’t too easy to set an static IP, custom DNS in bridge mode.
Can’t set the port of Adguard and dnsmask from web. - it’s somehow working from cli / luci.

Bridge. Connect to a wired network. Bridge mode is a networking feature that allows two routers together. When it enabled, it essentially turns the the router into a switch. The bridge-enabled router will still transfer data, but it won’t perform traditional Network Access Translation (NAT) processes.

What are your use cases for the Brume 2 in bridge mode vs. buying a switch?

I’m trying to use it as a mini server / Adguard for my lan. Redirecting the DNS requests has limitations in classifying dns clients … I want it to be also in the same lan of the main router from home.

Using it as just a security gateway (unfortunately without wifi) is just one scenario.

After some research… :

Use Adguard with all features (that is not possible with dns redirect dnsmasq to AdGuard), from your main router lan…

Step1
Install nano package from plugins, will need it.
Step2
Activate AdGuard and do what settings do you need in it.
Step3
Using luci - Network → DHCP and DNS → advanced settings → set dnsmasq dns port to 5353 (different from 53)
Step4
Login via ssh and with: nano /etc/AdGuardHome/config.yaml
change dns port from 3053 to 53 and save
Step5
In AdGuard settings → DNS setings → Private reverse DNS servers
type your dnsmasq details like … 192.168.8.1:5353.
Step6
Open port 53 in firewall. Also ports 80, 22, 3000 will be useful, but take care when you will use the device in others scenarious.
Step7
Instruct / Set your main router dhcp server to inform the dhcp clients AdGuard dns server.

Now you can use Adguard with all features (that is not possible with dns redirect dnsmasq to AdGuard), from your main router lan, and see in AdGuard Dashboard every client request.
For vpn and tor you must connect a pc in the Brume2 lan port.

Warning: If you disable AdGuard then dns wil not work!

1 Like

I have my GL-MV1000W Brume 1 set up as a secondary/backup AdGuardHome server on my LAN. It is still in Router mode, with no WAN nor WWAN connection and only Ethernet LAN is connected. I disabled dnsmasq (includes DHCP server), then set up AdGuardHome to listen on TCP Port 53 directly and my main router’s dnsmasq (the only DHCP server on LAN) advertising the Brume 1 IP address as the DNS server. Client devices IP addresses are captured by AdGuardHome.

I do not use VPN on Brume 1, but that is possible with additional configuration.

How do you setup NordVPN Wireguard?

NordVPN has its propietary version of wireguard and I can’t figure out how to set it up on Brume 2.

I am also having this issue, as only OpenVPN for Android is available on Android TV, and not OpenVPN Connect (for whatever reason).

On my Windows box with the OpenVPN connect client, I am getting the following error message:
Error Message: Peer certificate verification failure.

I am using the Mango however, but seems there are some issues with the OpenVPN server implementation here…

You can’t with out using a linux operating system to get the app generated credentials. THIS IS A NORDVPN ISSUE because they are useing a modified wiregaurd they call NordLynx

I used this procedure to generate WireGuard configuration files for NordVPN.

Here is another procedure:

Technically, they are not the same as the proprietary NordLynx, but they still work fine.

1 Like

Are these available for purchase in the US without spending $26 on shipping?

Our Amazon US start selling Brume2 recently and shipping free in US region.
https://www.amazon.com/GL-iNet-MT2500A-Security-Gateway-Office/dp/B0BQMJDDYR/

I used the Brume 1 plus GLi-approved dongle as my daily driver main LAN router and wifi access point for like 2 years due to a semi-nomadic lifestyle, it was rock solid stable during that time. If dongle wifi works as well on Brume 2 as it does on Brume 1 then it’s a reasonable option, GLi supported a 1x1 and 2x2 AC dongle on Brume 1.

2 Likes

What wifi dongle do you use on the Brume 1?

I have the GL-MV1000W version of the Brume 1, which has has 2.4GHz wifi built-in, I tested a TP-Link T2U Plus V1 wifi USB adapter and 2 generic MediaTek MT7612U wifi USB adapters that worked successfully on the router.

However, I prefer using my GL-AR750S-Ext for travel because it has both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi, is more compact (no external wifi USB adapter) and is also rock solid.

I have not yet tested the MediaTek MT7612U wifi USB adapter on my GL-MT2500A Brume 2.

1 Like

Would you mind trying the it out on the Brume 2? I would like to know if it works before ordering one myself.

I’m planning to drop £120 on a Slate AX, is there any risk of that being discontinued or purposely left outdated within the near future? My introduction to non ISP routers came through the purchase of a MangoV2 which has worked perfectly since day one, I would hate to spend over one hundred on a better model only for it to become useless or vulnerable through no fault of my own. Thanks

Fascinating how these low profile puppies are :blush: cute AF.

Btw. I think a product line on planing future release could’ve been unfold to everyone now.

I could manage few scenario to having handful Brume 2. Only hope that tiny power house could have wifi implanted in the first place. A good reason to push purchase decision in final.

Also to that point I really won’t bothered to have ability to having extra Ethernet ports on a gateway device that I won’t touch again once done with set up.

1 Like

The Brume 2 has the kmod-mt76x2u package available for the MediaTek MT7612U, but not the package for the T2U Plus V1.

The Brume 2 seems to detect the MediaTek MT7612U that lsusb in SSH shows. However, there is no Wireless page in the GL.iNet UI Admin Portal and the LuCI UI does not show the wfi adapter. There may some “magic” steps required that I do not know.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet