Meet Brume 2!

It has 2 model numbers (GL-MT2500 / GL-MT2500A) so it might be like Brume has a Wi-Fi version or ? :slight_smile:

You need a USB wifi toggle to get WiFi. Two models are based on two designs, one in metal case and the other in plastic case.

3 Likes

Wonder how many of you will use a wifi toggle with Brume? We have other wifi routers, but this one aims to provide wire connection only for security gateway at home.

1 Like

I can think of two situations, at least:

1. I’d like to use a 5G modem and not a mobile phone. (maybe because of better cell coverage as LTE in my area)
  2. Maybe I’d like to use my WLAN with external antenna, to break out of a shielded area or for a directional setup.

In both cases I can use the great GL.iNet Plattform, but can’t use any of the provided buildin WLAN. So the Brumme would be a good choice.

2 Likes

USB wifi to connect to phone hotspot for backup wan would be cool.

1 Like

As you see, we will have two versions, one with metal case and the other one with plastic case. The two prices will be significantly different. Metal version will be shipped out faster. Let me know your preference and reasons.

• Brume 2 with metal case
  • Brume 2 with plastic case

0 voters

any beta testing available for the brume 2?

1 Like

Is it only me and am I the only one here that is quite concerned about the rate of turnover of GL.iNET routers with so many devices going EOL and so many others coming out even before the bugs have been ironed out and the firmware being stable enough and up to date across the existing product line? I have really lost track of all the new device variations and firmware versions available and I am becoming increasingly disappointed that a lot of my devices that I have spent good money on are either going EOL or running on outdated software. I am a big fan of GL.iNET but I think someone has started to lose the plot here but it may be just me!

7 Likes

Nope. we think it’s very simple and we will only run internal test before we launch.

Thanks for your advice, and we are always trying to solve all the critical bugs in the existing products. However, technology keeps updating. When new chipset comes out, the old chipsets are discontinued and hard to be found. We have to discontinue some of them and make new ones to replace.

1 Like

I do think ‘we’ (the world) has primary a chip issue. If a well known chip isn’t delivered, should the vendor stop producing new devices and focus on the sold devices?
My little knowledge of economics is, that it needs 73% new customers an a little base of repeating customers. It the product ist too good/reliable, the repeater won’t buy fast enough.

1 Like

I am finding this chip business to be quite a lame and a feeble excuse to be honest with you to stop supporting a completely viable hardware that is only a couple of years old. It is either laziness or pure greed I am afraid to say. My old phones and other aged routers are still getting updates several years after production and I cannot see other manufacturers following your logic and abandoning products after such a short spell.

3 Likes

Thank you but we are the long promised firmware updates for the existing devices other than the ones that are undergoing beta testing?

3 Likes

I do not think it is good business practice just to bring out new devices, due to shortages of old chips, when they do not work well from Day 1 and still have many bugs to be resolved. Although this strategy appears to work in the short term, both old customers and the new customers may end up becoming non-customers.

Manufacturers in all industries commonly substitute parts for various reasons (availability, price, reliability, efficiency, etc.), while keeping the core design and functions and without referring to them as “new products”. However, there is temptation among some manufacturers to start adding new features and enhancements at the same time to market them as “new products”. In smaller companies, this tends to contribute to new bugs in new products and divert away limited resources on old bugs in old products.

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

6 Likes

We promise to update the firmware but pls forgive me that sometimes it may be slow.

3 Likes

I think there is more going on with the introduction of new devices than just shortages of old chips. I agree that there should be continued support of devices for a reasonable time, and that end of production should not mean EOL.

But I actually like this effort to continue to upgrade specs. Just in the travel router space, I’m seeing dramatic improvements in ISP speeds such that 100/100 is now prevalent, where just a few years ago 25/1 was the norm (just now I’m in a place with 500/300 service!. So my Mango is outclassed here.) The progression from Mango to Slate to Beryl to Slate Plus to Slate AXT seems something to be encouraged, just as phones are driving higher core count, lower power chips. I think this strategy of pairing closed source/open source drivers to OpenWRT with a very accessible GL-iNet overlay is fairly productive and I’m pleased to see that there is as much open and active work going on (by both the user community and GL-iNet) to identify and address bugs.

7 Likes

There are often more than a single factor when creating new products and they have likely been in the design/development pipeline for some time already. GL.iNet themselves have referenced chip availability as the main reason.

Regardless of the decision factors, I agree overall that introducing new technology features and enhancements are good, even necessary and inevitable. However, the main point is about being able to not have bugs in the new products and to fix the bugs in the old products on a timely basis.

5 Likes

I can understand why you are upset. But on the other hand I am pretty sure, if I’ve had a problem with any kind of standard setup, and this behavior can be reproduced, the GL.iNet team will take a look and if anyhow possible solve it.
I also understand, that the Team can not do magic against non-standard-implementations and people with a real interest to keep VPN out (like hotels).

And I don’t write this, because I am a naive person. I write this from experience. I’ve hat a longer case, in which we even send a router from one side of the world to the other. And shortly after a lot of issues in 4.0 are ‘magically’ solved. And here I also understand that GL.iNet can not buy every router on the world wide market. Here is a little testing up to us (the users).
I am thankful for this forum to place my demands.

I was nice, now it is up to you, GL.iNet! I want a 50 gram router, that produces no heat without a fan, has a 2km 5GHz WLAN coverage at a minimum speed of 600Mbit/s and it should not consume more power than 500mA. Release next week would be nice :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No upset from me at all ! I personally do not have significant problems with GL.iNet products and have tried to assist other people to solve their problems, many of which are pretty standard and just require some explaining.

There are both positive and negative posts on this forum and, for any product, there will always be lovers and haters depending on their own expectations and circumstances. I am offering my own feedback on GL.iNet’s direction and it is up to them what to do with it.

6 Likes

I think that you are completely missing the point here. No one is against technological advancement or wanting to stifle product development by any stretch of the imagination. We are all here after all because we like our gadgets and enjoy new tech. We are all also quite happy to be used as beta users after spending good money on their products to try and help improve these products. I am, however concerned about the company’s commitment to their customers (although you don’t seem to think that repeat customers are important but I have bought a total of 32 GL.iNet routers (with 5 of the models already gone EOL) for myself, family and friends) or to their products. How many tech manufacturers have you seen releasing a beta products before their previous one is even out of beta? GL.iNet appear to be quickly and easily forgetful of their previous products as soon as a new one is hyped up for release! Their flagship RECENT router “the FLINT” for example has had its last stable firmware version released back in May with version 3.214 and with all development stalled there whilst the customers watch testing firmware versions released left, right and centre for the newer products and feeling completely abandoned by the developers. A lot of the recent reviews on Amazon have started to complain about outdated versions of firmware. Your Beryl or Slate AX will soon follow suit once this Brume 2 is released. You watch this space.

5 Likes