Meet Brume 2!

Just found out about Brume 2. Have been using original Brume as my router for quite some time with great results. (for WiFi, I’m using a pair of EAP660HD)…

How long will the Brume receive support and firmware upgrades? 2 years?

2 Likes

Yes. 2 years when we announce EOL.

1 Like

What’s the price and will it be available on Amazon?

Why is LAN port 10/100/1000 while WAN is up to 2.5Gbps ?
– this router wont work with 2Gbps fiber…

I would hope they would make the LAN side the 2.5gbps

Hi,Due to the limitation of MT7981 SOC, MT7981 only supports one GE PHY and two SGMIL,SGMIL-1 is used as the USB3.0 Port and SGMIL-0 is used as the 2.5G Ethernet Port.

2 Likes

will Brume 2 be more powerull than Slate AX when it comes to Wireguard performance?
More 2.5gbps ports would have been a dream!

1 Like

Will it be possible to use a USB 3.0 - 10/100/1000/2500 Ethernet dongle to take advantage of higher throughput ? – and use it a high-speed LAN port? That’s a realistic workaround I think.

Since Brume 2 only has one LAN port, might as well have two. O

Not much stronger, Brume has a WireGuard speed of 450Mbps(MAX.), while AXT1800 has 550Mbps. But Openvpn speeds are about the same.

Yes,the USB3.0 interface uses SGMII_1, while the maximum speed supported by SGMILL is 2.5G.

2 Likes

I am currently using Brume 1 with a GL.inet-supported dongle (I believe RTL8812AU) as my primary access point at home. It is rock solid stable, performs very well, and I would really really love to see GL.inet stock firmware support a couple good modern wifi chipsets on all GL.inet models. The Mediatek 76xxU chipsets might be good candidates.

2 Likes

As part of the overall discussion on product & firmware development,

I would also like to see a bit more attention paid to firmware quality. The GL.inet firmware works well, and for the moment I prefer to use it when I can.

However, bugs often remain for a long time, including “missing stair” type bugs that will stop a newbie in their tracks (like the fact that root password can become inconsistent between http and https login page, or between web interface and ssh) and aren’t well documented anywhere. I would love it if a few more of these bugs would get fixed, and would be fine if product development slowed down a bit as a result of that.

I’ve been using Linux-based technologies for nearly 30 years so these little devices are a good deal for me because I’m capable of tinkering with them until they work the way I want. But there are a good number of (mostly) small but frustrating bugs which will make the experience less pleasant for somebody who has less experience.

In my case, I am slowly building up all the knowledge I need so that I can do everything I want as easily with vanilla OpenWRT as with GL.inet firmware, and this is so I won’t have to depend on GL.inet’s slower release cycle any more. Not everyone has the time, skill, or resources to do that, and the people that don’t, are less likely to continue buying the products if the stock firmware isn’t updated enough.

Thanks as always to the GL.inet team as I know they work hard.

8 Likes

We decide not to spend time on USB wifi development. This device will stay as a wired gateway as a VPN box for an add-on to a home network.

2 Likes

I came across GL.inet looking for a wired router, and Brume was the first model I bought, since I already had several AP’s in my house and had no need for a WiFi router which I had to turn the wireless off. Then I got a couple of mango V2 for a specific project and was sold on the Beryl for travel purposes…
Previously I would let a Raspberry Pi 4 manage the VPN network and DNS services (adguard home) as a gateway, but wanted an all-in-one solution for my network. The Pi is just hosting nextcloud now.

1 Like

Any idea when this will be availabe to purchase and expected costs? Realistically the plastic one would do for me especially if there is a large cost difference as indicated but the aluminium one does look a lot better so I’d need to decide once pricing is known.

Will there be any device at all that would support WiFi through USB stick?

Unfortunately no it won’t

When will this be offered for sale?

Knowing the brume 2 will be on mediatek, same SOC brand as the legendary mango v2, I can believe firmware updates for brume 2 will go for a long long long time

A bit dissappointed that it is not at a higher speed, 1.7~1.8GHz would be nice, maybe when it becomes cheaper

Pre-order will be available by the end of this month. Please subscribe to the email and wait for updates! We will have both the metal and the plastic versions for pre-order discounts: GL-MT2500 / Brume 2 - GL.iNet

1 Like