MiFI 4G Compatibility

Hello,

Contemplating whether to try and use Mifi or an AR150 with a USB-LTE modem attached. Main concern with the Mifi is that I cannot see the details of the LTE modules in order to know if they will work with the service providers in Canada. Here we have Telus/Bell and Rogers who I believe use primarily band 4 at 1700Mhz. The Mifi page only lists LTE modules for AT&T or Verizon, but does not say which band/frequency/etc is actually in play on those cards.

Additionally the AR150 seems much more wide spread and available than the MiFi. As this will be for an ongoing application, is the MiFi likely to be in production/available as long as the AR150 (since they both have the same base chipset), or was the MiFi more of a one off “let’s try and make this”, and is thus more likely to be discontinued/dropped in the near future?

Thoughts and feedback greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Rob

@jolouis From here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Wireless#Networks It seems like it can get LTE bands (on Rogers):
4 - 1700/2100 MHz AWS
12 - Portion of 700 MHz Lower A/B/C

3G:
2 - 1900 MHz PCS
5 - 850 MHz CLR

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Mobility#Radio_frequency_summary it looks like it will also work with Bell’s network too.

I am also wondering if there is a PCIe card that will work with worldwide frequencies without region lock that can work with OpenWRT in the MiFi.

From the research I did it seems that all of the major carriers here use band 4 - 1700/2100 AWS as the primary one and a few others as secondary/extended areas. My concern was that I didn’t see anywhere on the MiFi page that said which LTE module (the Verizon or the AT&T one) had support for that band as I don’t live the US and have no clue about what frequencies their networks use. Do we know for sure which card supports band 4 AWS?

As for the world wide card I would be surprised as my research so far has shown that while 3G/HSPA was relatively easy for good support LTE made everything stupid again by having way too many frequency and connection variations. I could be wrong though?

To find out the band of modules, please check: 404 Page not found - GL.iNet

We invest a lot to make a product. We will not discontinue it easily. Now the status MiFi is that it is still not finished and we are still working on this. To make it in a country, we may need some dealers that to help check the capability and provide support. Otherwise it is too difficult to know if it is compatible with one network or not.

Okay cool based on the link you provided it looks like the EC-25A module will be compatible with both LTE and 3G on Telus/Bell. Rogers may or may not work for LTE as one of their bands is missing, but 3G should be fine. We’re looking at Telus for now so not really a big deal for us, may just have to buy one and give it a try!

@alzhao, you mention that MiFi is still not finished and still being worked on… but the website says “GL-MiFi is a now a finished product.” lol What’s being worked on still? Any major changes or issues that we should be aware of? If significant developments/maturity are still lacking we’ll probably go with AR150’s and USB-4g modems for now…

I removed that line now.

Minor changes are made to the hardware now and we think that we are doing the last version this time (lol).

Nothing wrong with making hardware revisions as long as there aren’t catastrophic underlying problems with the old versions ;o)

Out of curiosity what was the reason for only 1 ethernet port? Does the PCI-e slot take some of the resources required or?

It is just because of space.

It is 2 Ethernet port, not one, right?

lol don’t mind me I have no idea why I had it in my head that it only had a LAN port on it… Going to be one of those days ;o)

If we get the current project we are proposing now approved I will be ordering Mifi’s from now on, thanks for the great work on all of your products!