I was hoping this was the one, and it may yet get there but boy howdy was this first trip a wreck.
I travelled to Washington DC (Crystal City) to visit family and stayed at a Marriott hotel in the area. We weren’t in the room a lot, but every morning and evening I fought the MT3000 to try to get it working, and never succeeded. As a bit of background, this is not my first rodeo - I’ve travelled with GL.iNet projects for years, going back to the 6416. I do network-related stuff as part of my job, so I’m not somebody who doesn’t understand how this stuff works or how to get it to work.
I started the trip on 4.1.2 with, as is my practice, both an OpenVPN and WireGuard profile available to 2 servers. I was able to connect to the hotel network and hold a steady ping to an outside server, but as soon as I engaged either VPN from the router, things completely fell apart. 50% lost pings. WireGuard was slightly better than OpenVPN, but neither were usable. Disconnect VPN and everything was fine. Connect VPN from my laptop to the same servers (OpenVPN), no issues. Just the MT3000.
Ok, maybe it’s a stock firmware problem. The MT3000 just got support in gl-infra-builder, let me spin a build there. Doesn’t work. At all. Refuses to connect to the hotel network no matter what I tried.
Back to stock, this time 4.2 beta 2. Perhaps I can use Tailscale, if it’s fixed. At first things look good. I’m able to connect to the hotel network, I’m able to get Tailscale up and running, but exit nodes aren’t working. Ok, whatever. At this point I had to leave for the day. Checked in a couple of hours later and it was still connected. Get back to the hotel that evening and it’s disconnected from the hotel network. Now just like the gl-infra build, I am completely unable to connect to the hotel network. Full reset. No change.
Check the next morning, it looks like GL has pushed an update to the infrabuilder. Maybe that’s the fix for the bug I’m encountering. Spin a new gl-infra build, put it on the router. No dice. No connection. Back to 4.2.
Again able to connect to hotel internet. Import an OpenVPN connection. Unable to connect (again, able to connect no problem on my laptop, whether behind the MT3000 or directly connected to hotel wifi). Try to abort the MT3000 OpenVPN connection. Clients lose all connectivity, though the MT3000 can still see all sites.
At that point it was close to time to pack up to go to the airport and I just gave up.
Not a great beginning.
The good news is that these all seem like software problems. The bad news is that there were so many of them on this run that I have zero confidence in taking the MT3000 on my next trip a week from tomorrow. I’m not entirely sure what I’ll choose, and I’ll probably throw the MT3000 in my suitcase, but I certainly won’t be relying on it.
Hoping for better in the future.