MT300A: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for nfs-kernel-server

I’ve flashed gl-mt300a-3.0-1011_clean.bin on my MT300A, but I get some severe error messages, when I try to install some additional packages.

On installing nfs-kernel-server und kmod-usb-storage, opkg gives the following messages:

• satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for nfs-kernel-server:
  • kernel (= 4.14.63-1-040e1eb571d42424f99665555568bea6)
  • satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-storage:
  • kernel (= 4.14.63-1-040e1eb571d42424f99665555568bea6)

Any hints?

You can install it with –nodeps parameter.

But that prevents the installation of dependent packages. Wouldn’t it be better to use the option

–force-depends

In most cases the error message appeared with kernel related dependencies. If only the info in the package conf file is wrong, then the installation with ignoring the dependency will do no harm.

Nevertheless I shall obey your hint and watch the system log for any abnormal events.

Kernel modules ideally need to have the same version as the running kernel. OpenWrt and close derivatives enforce this as default, with the message you’re seeing indicative of a mismatch between the running kernel’s version and the package repo’s version.

While it is possible that kernel modules from a different build may work, much depends on how they were compiled and how much the kernel source has changed, as well as a bit of luck.