MT300N-V2 Firmware Update - Where is Original GUI

I upgraded my Mango to the following firmware and am no longer able to access the original Mango GUI. How can I access that UI?

System
Hostname MT300N-V2
Model GL-MT300N-V2
Architecture MediaTek MT7628AN ver:1 eco:2
Firmware Version OpenWrt 21.02.1 r16325-88151b8303 / LuCI openwrt-21.02 branch git-21.295.67054-13df80d
Kernel Version 5.4.154

Thanks!
Paul

Where did you download the firmware from? If you got it from the OpenWRT site, then it won’t have the GL UI.

Hi

I did download it from OpenWRT. Where do I find the one with the great original GUI?

Paul.

You can get it from here:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/mt300n-v2/v1/

Flash the openwrt-mt300n-v2-3.203-0805.bin

There is also a less stable but newer version you can try from this folder:

https://dl.gl-inet.com/firmware/mt300n-v2/testing/

openwrt-mt300n-v2-3.204-1112.bin

You might have to follow the debrick guide if it fails to flash:

Ok - which one should I use?

• openwrt-mt300n-v2-3.203-0805.bin
  • lede-mt300n-v2-2.272.bin

The previous firmware had the native GUI and an Advanced option which would get me into openwrt. Is it possible to have that back and have a new openwrt?

Unfortunately no. The latest GL firmwares are based on 19.x, but they are fully patched for vulnerabilities. 21.x firmware will come in Q1 next year i believe.

You will still have the advanced menu to open Luci, but it will be 19.x.

Thank you!

If I want to go back to 19.x - which file should I download? and… then

How do I install it? Just by going to System Flash?

Even though its labeled testing, i would recommend you use those. So yeah go to System → Flash Firmware, and use this one:

https://fw.gl-inet.com/firmware/mt300n-v2/testing/openwrt-mt300n-v2-3.204-1112.bin

Don’t keep settings when doing that.

ok - I Just tried that, downloaded as a bin file…

Sun Oct 24 09:33:16 UTC 2021 upgrade: Device glinet,gl-mt300n-v2 not supported by this image Sun Oct 24 09:33:16 UTC 2021 upgrade: Supported devices: gl-mt300n-v2 Image check failed.

The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform.

Did I download the wrong file?

Right so you will need to use the debrick guide to flash it. Will be better in the end as it will clear all config files that might get left behind.

Oh sorry, before doing that, you can check the “force upgrade” at the bottom of that warning. But still better to do the debrick when going from one firmware to another.

• Firmware update screen, select BIN file, Clicked Update Firmware…
  • Update in Process… lost connection… reset Windows NIC IP to DHCP…
  • green light blinking…
  • green solid and red solid…
  • now I can ping 192.168.8.1 and am able to login to the old UI.

Nice :slight_smile:

Now, when I go to Advanced it says Luci ERROR: Not installed yet!

Yeah this is a new feature. A lot of basic users might not need the advanced UI (aka Luci from OpenWRT). So go to Plugins → Update, then find Luci and install.

Awesome - thank you so much!

Johnex - I have to say this has been one of the best tech support experiences of my life. You really rock!

:smiley:

1 Like

I’m happy to help :smiley:

1 Like

Is the Luci password supposed to be the same as the normal UI?

Yeah exactly. And for SSH also.

root and the password I set does not work in LuCI but does work in normal UI.

If you go to More Settings → Admin Password and try putting the password again? Maybe some special characters are not supported, i don’t know. Should work.

ok - looks like it is not going to let me in…

I just changed the password to green no special characters

I can login to the main UI but not luCI. Maybe I should reboot?

I notice it I enter admin and green it comes up with

Invalid username and/or password! Please try again.

If I enter root and green it just refreshes the page…

How do I remove luCI? Nevermind - found it.