MTA-300 and Huawei E3372h-153 non hilink LTE modem

Hello,

has anyone figured out a way to achieve true LTE speeds with the Huawei E3372 non hilink(no web ui, no NAT, works with connection manager program) modem? I only get around 10-15 mbit/s where as if I plug the modem directly to my pc the speed is in the 60 mbit/s region. On the GLi UI I can select 3g mode and the device shows up as ttyusb01. But what I have read on different forums is that this way it uses PPP protocol and the speed will be limited. This modem support NCM mode and I have changed the modem to this mode by AT commands from a terminal. But after this I could not connect to the internet through the MTA-300. Can anybody please tell me how to do this properly? In the luci interface there is not option for WAN interface with NCM protocol. I have found an article about it on the OpenWRT (Network configuration [Old OpenWrt Wiki])site, but I am no expert at this, so I have no idea how to implement it. Also I found out that there is a driver for Huawei non hilink modems for openwrt that was made by Huawei, so that might also be needed (kmod-usb-net-huawei-cdc-ncm). It was supposed to be implemented in to the main trunk of CC (#20103 (Pleas add support to modem E3372 no-hilink (and other new Huawei products)) – OpenWrt), but it still has some issues. I am not sure if it is present in the MTA-300’s 2,20 firmware version. Any help would be greatly appreciated, since this way the modem is useless for me.

Thanks

Pori

@alzhao: I found out that in order for this modem (Huawei E3372h-153) to function with full LTE speeds it is needed for it to work in NCM mode. Can you please somehow implement this (Re: [OpenWrt-Devel] Current State of NCM support) (Network configuration [Old OpenWrt Wiki]) ([OpenWrt-Devel,2/2,luci] add Huawei NCM protocol - Patchwork) and make it configurable through Luci? NCM protocol is essential for the Huawei E3372 non hilink version to achive LTE speed. Otherwise it uses PPP protocol and speed is limited.

Hi, Can you upgrade to V2.22 . The ncm module has been built in. So you just need to configure via UCI at present.

We hope to improve the UI later.

Hello!

Can someone share the working UCI configuration for such a modem?

If we need to use UCI here - does it mean that 3G section in the GUI should not be touched at all?

Thanks!

@alzhao,

have you tested any modem with ncm driver?

@AndrewZ, I do tested one modem with ncm driver, the model is E8278, which is said to be a updated version of 3372.

@alzhao,

could you please share your configuration used for E8278 testing?

it appears as an network device and will appear in “Tethering” tab in our UI, internet settings. Just choose and click it works.

Some confusion here. The topic is about ‘non hilink LTE modem’, but what you’re describing is more relevant to HiLink.

At the same time you previously wrote ‘you just need to configure via UCI at present’. Finally, UCI or “our UI” as you said a week ago?

Is there still no easy solution? I have just upgraded to the latest firmware, but I still can’t configure the Huawei E3372 (NON-Hilink) through the GUI. I can’t even add an interface with NCM protocol from Luci. How can I configure this modem to use NCM protocol, instead of the slow PPP protocol? When choosing 3G option there is no possibility to use it at LTE speeds. In Luci I see that all the necessary packages are preinstalled, but still does not work. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could put together a step by step guide on how to configure this device.

Thanks

ncm protocol is installed. I am not sure why luci doesn’t works sometimes.

Can you ssh to the router and try to see if the device is recognized?

You can post the output of the three command from ssh

logread

dmesg

ls /dev

It is recognized when using 3G mode. I am not familiar with ssh, sorry. I know this will not help the case. :slight_smile: My main concern is that if those packages are installed, then why is it not possible from Luci to add a new interface with NCM protocol? Am I missing something?

Hello! Is there still no way to make this work? I have not yet found a way to achieve LTE speed. The NON!! hilink version still only works in 3G mode. All the packages are installed, but I still can not add a new NCM interface.

Please advise what to do.

Thanks.

Have a try this. I think the command should be same but just the port is different.

Choose network mode

set modem to only LTE

echo -e "AT+QCFG=\"nwscanmode\",3,1" > /dev/ttyUSB2 

set back to auto

echo -e "AT+QCFG=\"nwscanmode\",0,1" > /dev/ttyUSB2

I have not yet found a way to achieve LTE speed. The NON!! hilink version still only works in 3G mode. All the packages are installed, but I still can not add a new NCM interface.
I think the wording is not 100% correct, so let me rephrase:

I have not yet found a way to achieve LTE speed. The NON!! hilink version still only works in PPP mode. All the packages are installed, but I still can not configure the router to use NCM interface instead of PPP.

First of all make sure that NCM mode is enabled in your modem, you need to access it’s com port and use AT^SETPORT command to verify and set configuration.
Secondly I suggest to use firmware from here and forget about all the issues.