MV-1000 Brume Naked Pics

I took apart my Brume so you do not have to…

Kids - do not try this at home - I’m a trained professional :wink:

All the important chips have thermal pads connecting to the upper/lower heatsinks.

I’d pop the heatsinks, but looks like they’re one-time thermal pads - but since we’ve seen one side of the board (check the MV-1000 docs), it would be nice to see the other side of the board, where there is supposedly a WiFi chip.

Anyways, the thermal solution that GL-iNet provides should be more than sufficient - the Marvell 3720 has a reputation based on other boards (EspressoBin from GlobalScale) where they tend to run warm, looking at the approach here, I’m not seeing any problems with the board running at 1GHz

3 Likes

still wearing the underwears

i mean… under armour

Thank you for the excellent pics of the internals of the GL-iNET Brume! In my opinion, this product has a lot of potential! I am testing two of these units in our company lab and I eagerly anticipate putting them into production this week as strong edge security router!

Don’t laugh, but in the lab, we have tried really hard to break the Brume by throwing every nasty packets and misconfigured networks at this little box. You will really laugh when I tell you that we performed drop tests at four and six feet, and three meters. We even hit them (not too hard) with a ball-peen hammer a couple of times, then plugged them in. Then whenever they were plugged in, we hit them with the hammer again!

In production, the Brume will be a strong edge security router, which will be used exclusively for establishing very secure subnets (VLans) for our R&D department. Right now in our company, this job is currently being handled by Cisco ASA 5506-X routers with FirePOWER Services (firewall). We like the Cisco routers, but they are just too expensive to purchase and maintain.

Tony Mars

1 Like

I have reported your post as indecent.:face_with_monocle:

report for the lewd undressing of the brume or the domestic abuse?

Lol. They could have at least blurred out the naughty parts.:flushed:

I know this thread is nearly a year old… but it’s closely related to my question…

Does anybody know what the four header pads connect to? I’m hoping to find +5V for a fan.

I could split the power in cable, or even take 5V from the USB port, but an internal connection would be much more elegant.

I will post photos and before/after temperature data when I have it.

Thanks in advance
Sean

I believe those are i2c…

[1] 3V3DC
(2) SCK
(3) SDA
(4) GND

1 Like

Yes. Maybe just get power from USB. Always safe.