My wireless experience so far

So I have been using my slate ax lately as default access point.

And I’m actually surprised how stable it works my download and upload speed is smilliar as the flint.

For 5ghz I’m maxed at 203 mb/s and 250 mb/s upload.

For 2,4 ghz I’m maxed around 100 mb/s and 140 mb/s but I have to test this again

But what I like the most is that my phone keeps connected, on the flint I kept disconnecting with the gl sdk 3, so thats a huge improvement, I’m using a poco x3 nfc phone with MIUI 12.5.7.

I tested 5ghz outside around 20 meters in total with one wall between, and I got still a 160mb/s speed.

I also tested the situation when I walked upstairs one level higher, and I was able to have a connection with 180mb/s download but it was correcting higher to max speed.

Compared to the mango, I had issues with repeater modes with mango, but for the slate ax this worked very stable, I also had wireguard active and nextdns and did not found issues on beta8, though I’m not sure if unsupported huawei phones for wpa3 show wifi networks as open, that looked a little bit strange though these devices got kicked when they tried to connect.

1 Like

I have to admit, the range is pretty great- I’d taken mine to the office (I thought we’d have symmetric upload there and was going to try some WireGuard tests) and my phone was connected thru it; I’d gone off to … another room … for a while down the hall and noticed that not only was my phone still connected, I’d had good signal strength and excellent thruput!

1 Like

GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 Wifi 6 AX is much slower than Asus RT-AX88U Wifi 5 AC.

Speed tests conducted on Samsung S21+ smartphone with Wifi 6 support and over Internet 500Mbps Download/15Mbps Upload.

GL-AXT1800 Wifi 6 AX

Asus RT-AX88U Wifi 5 AC (Wifi configured to be limited to AC, although router has AX)

I do not work for and I do not have formal association with GL.iNet

2 Likes

Comparison of 5GHz 802.11ac and 2.4GHz 802.11n speeds between GL.iNet GL-AXT1800 and Asus RT-AX88U. Windows 10 PC client has wireless adapter only up to Wifi 5. Internet connection is 500Mbps Download/15Mbps Upload.

Whoa- I’ve never seen this bitrate ever shown before!

$ iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"KennySlateAX"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.785 GHz  Access Point: 94:83:C4:19:
          Bit Rate=1.0208 Gb/s   Tx-Power=22 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-34 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:316   Missed beacon:0
$

Admittedly I’m ~1M away from the AXT1800, but the previous (non-WiFi-6) devices are usually that close, too.

Funny thing is, I barely use the WiFi on my laptop, I have a dock and do Ethernet 99% of the time when I’m in my hotel room :slight_smile:

I can get 1,080 Mbps from the GL-AXT1800 over 5GHz band80MHz channel width on my Samsung S21+ with Wifi6.

2 Likes