Name this mode in English

ARP Spoofing, ARP Poisoning…I only heard about this as something mainly malicious, used in Man in the Middle attacks. .

1 Like

The question behind ‘simple mode’ is “Where stands the audience”?
For any not network aware user it sounds simple to crack open the communication and hijack the Gateway. For any IDS or filtering (even to protect the users) it will be hell.

In German I would stick with “Erweitertes Gateway” (Enhanced Gateway).

What do you expect from this setting? An easy way to use VPN in an existing network. For me the easiest way is NAT. But I know this is the minority of travel router users.
ARP spoofing is just the used technique. It is not what it does for the end user. This is the reason why I would vote against a too technical term, even of it is not wrong.

2 Likes

Some marketing-friendly naming options, i.e. avoid using terms like “spoofing” and “impersonation.”

• Gateway overlay mode
  • Gateway override mode
  • Drop-in gateway mode
4 Likes

Best names. Especially the last one is the best.

Eaves Drop-in gateway mode :laughing:

1 Like

“Drop-In Gateway” works also in other languages, since Alexa uses “Drop In” as voice command for internal calls. At least in German.

Just saw this feature released for the GL-AXT1800 :slight_smile:

Is it also coming to the flint?

@alzhao any update on this?

^^

Very much looking forward to testing the drop in gateway mode😄

Yes, It is. But it’s not coming soon.
We are in the process of officially upgrading flint to 4.x, so we have not compiled the test firmware for flint yet.

2 Likes

Where can one find the Drop-in Gateway mode on the Slate AX? Can someone please provide some clear guidance about it? Many thanks.

Change language to Chinese and you will have that.

1 Like

Is this feature the only one that you can access when language is in Chinese? Is there a way to get it same on English do you need help translating?

Many thanks. Are you able to please provide a screenshot?

Let’s add this to all the languages.

4 Likes

OMG. Thanks for making this feature available to this router and also in English so quickly. I have just tried it and I could not believe how well this works making all my longstanding double NATing and other networking woes almost vanish into thin air. I am so glad that I purchased a second Slate AX for my home use and also left a glowing and a well deserved five-star review of this router on Amazon. One think I have noticed though is that VPN policies are not being respected when using this feature and I hope that this could be fixed soon.

3 Likes

Anyone has successfully implemented it ?
I have a question that the running “Drop-In Mode” router WAN port need to run which protocol ? DHCP ?

I have tried it as the WAN port to gain access through DHCP and connect to my “main”(Brume) router’s LAN port, it seems nothing go through the “Drop-In mode” router(a1300). :upside_down_face:

Ah, after rebooting the “Drop-In gateway” router, it works, the traceroute go through it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a funny idea, if the “Drop In Gateway” mode routers can chain together to make it multiple layers of “Drop-In” ? It looks interesting and will try it later to see if it works ? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Mine was working brilliantly initially but then started dropping connections to clients connected to the parent router (for milliseconds at a time) quite a lot (discovered this when was downloading larger files and the downloads kept on interrupting). Is yours sustaining connection to clients connected to the main router and if so which firmware version are you on?

one I didn’t see is what might also fit - apologies for the late response here

“virtual gateway” - as this is what it appears like to the rest of the network in a transparent way…